What is meaning of P type and N type semiconductor

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Hello
Silicon is semiconductor material. Addition of impurity to semiconductor is known as doping. As I mentions in last diagram. Is it true one part is N type and another part is P type semiconductor.
_20160912_185652.JPG

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yes it is quite true. Addition of an N-type dopant provides an extra electron in the valance band of some atoms in the crystal. Addition of a P-type dopant provides a hole (the lack of an electron) in the valance band of some atoms in the crystal. Dopants come from elements groups III and IV of the periodic table.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Yes it is quite true. Addition of an N-type dopant provides an extra electron in the valance band of some atoms in the crystal. Addition of a P-type dopant provides a hole (the lack of an electron) in the valance band of some atoms in the crystal. Dopants come from elements groups III and IV of the periodic table.
That means when we add impurity to semiconductor, we get two types, N type semiconductor and P type semiconductor
Can you tell me what is difference between intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductor?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
That means when we add impurity to semiconductor, we get two types, N type semiconductor and P type semiconductor
Can you tell me what is difference between intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductor?
Carbon, Silicon, and Germanium belong to group IV of the periodic table. they each have four valence electrons in their outermost shell.
Elements in group III have only three electrons in their outermost shell. When one of these dopants replaces a semiconductor atom in the crystal lattice, it leaves a hole, and the material starts to become p-type.
Elements in group V have five electrons in their outermost shell. when one of these dopants replaces a semiconductor atom in the crystal lattice, it is not required for valeance purposes and can move around, and the material starts to become n-type.
Got it?