What is happening to off topic?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
There was this US woman, claiming only 2% from the big deal.

Having accounted a honorary consul title from the R.O.K. Embassy (Republic of Korea or also south Korea).

That was removed.

She claimed immunity because her diplomatic status.

And hey man, what are 2%- next to nothing!

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
There was this US woman, claiming only 2% from the big deal.

Having accounted a honorary consul title from the R.O.K. Embassy (Republic of Korea or also south Korea).

That was removed.

She claimed immunity because her diplomatic status.

And hey man, what are 2%- next to nothing!
Exactly.......

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have been around here for a while. I have always thought that this is one one the greatest forums on the internet. Not just because of the wealth of knowledge on this site but how everyone is treated by everyone else.

Yes many of us will tease one another. But you you will notice, that teasing is usually done between forum members that are long term forum members and have developed a mutual respect for one another. It is something that takes a while to develop. A right that is earned. Any less and the teasing might not be considered through friendship but cruelty.

Yes some of us get grumpy from time to time and might not be as patient with people as we should. But I think everyone tries to help out when they can and sometimes the grumpiness might be well deserved, say to a member that puts no effort into solving their own problem.

But I think what is held most high on this forum and what I admire the most is the value that is placed on religious, moral and ethnic differences.

Of late I have seen use of veiled profanity and sexual references. I also got a message from a thread I was subscribed to that contained what would be considered ethnic slurs. Fortunately one of the mods snagged it immediately . Aside from the ethnic slurs, none of it really bothers me much. What does bother me, is the utter disregard for other forum members. Remember we have people here from all religious and moral backgrounds.

Those comments from some forum members are not worthy of an 8 year old that has the intelligence to be interested in a topic like electronics. And some if not all of those comments are (I assume) coming from adults. From an 8 year old is bad enough. From an adult is simply shameful.

So if you don't want to have respect for other forum members please go elsewhere. We will have plenty of forum members around that will continue to respect the values of others.

And this will continue to be the greatest forum on the internet. You will not change that.

Last edited:

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
spinnaker, thank you for expressing my thoughts so eloquently.

I myself only started to post on off-topic after I learned about the "regulars" and figured that I want to contribute in a positive way. There are the moderators, but then there are the common sense self-imposed rules, much like within any civil society. That is why I like it, this is not utube or a newspaper forum.

p.s. there is a micro-brewery named after you in Victoria, B.C. you should visit it, good beer, bread and chocolate.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
spinnaker, thank you for expressing my thoughts so eloquently.

I myself only started to post on off-topic after I learned about the "regulars" and figured that I want to contribute in a positive way. There are the moderators, but then there are the common sense self-imposed rules, much like within any civil society. That is why I like it, this is not utube or a newspaper forum.

p.s. there is a micro-brewery named after you in Victoria, B.C. you should visit it, good beer, bread and chocolate.

Well you are just trying, :)

Thanks for the tip on the bar. You will never guess where this year's bicycle tour was going to be. Yes Vancouver Island, starting in Victoria. Trip is postponed till next near. Doing the Cabot Trail this year on the opposite end of CA. I will PM you so not to stray too far off topic.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
The mods try very hard to keep hands off where we can. Lately we have had a lot of adult themes and profanity. This is a family friendly forum, all of it.

For me, it part of the charm here.
I agree, but it's not just for the kiddies. I don't want to read profanity whether it's abbreviated or spe**ed out. For those who want to write it, I suggest they go post on the bathroom stall walls.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The mods try very hard to keep hands off where we can. Lately we have had a lot of adult themes and profanity. This is a family friendly forum, all of it.

For me, it part of the charm here.
And you guys do a wonderful job. But you should not need to be hall monitor for children that are really supposed to be adults.

Your job as mod should be confined to putting posts in the correct forum, erasing spam or occasional quelling a squabble between members. But sadly your responsibilities are expanded because of 2 or 3 forum members.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I am not sure what you actually refer to with "madness" but what bothers me is the continuous nonsense, (sadly incremented lately with a new contributor) in the "off topic" forum, cluttering this good site whose reason to exist is just electronics.

When I joined I did not fancy that I would use the "ignore" function.

Much to my regret I found it of great help. With the king of them followed by maybe four or five in that list, I focus on what is my real interest.

I have enough with my personal intelectual confusion to spend time in other people's ravings, vulgarity or nonsense.

My mental time is one of the few assets I could not recover.

Last edited: