What is going on with this outlet?!

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
I just tried to shave and my electric shaver ran out of juice quick... hm... I just charged it the other day!

Started my electric toothbrush, and the same thing. I charged both of these things for hours, just a few days ago... There's a GFI outlet in the bathroom, and this is an old building (from the 1950s). I don't think both these newer devices are loosing their ability to hold a charge simultaneously. The outlet charges them, the lights light up and the shaver works for about 60 seconds after charging for awhile. What's going on?

Thanks

vpoko

Joined Jan 5, 2012
I just tried to shave and my electric shaver ran out of juice quick... hm... I just charged it the other day!

Started my electric toothbrush, and the same thing. I charged both of these things for hours, just a few days ago... There's a GFI outlet in the bathroom, and this is an old building (from the 1950s). I don't think both these newer devices are loosing their ability to hold a charge simultaneously. The outlet charges them, the lights light up and the shaver works for about 60 seconds after charging for awhile. What's going on?

Thanks
Have you tried a different outlet just to be sure it's not the batteries? What happens when you plug in a lamp, etc into the outlet, does it work?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
could be a bad outlet. I've had outlets that were old and the spring action that holds the blades in gets weak and doesn't make good contact. I also know that my laptop charger has an LED thats apparently fed by a cap because it stays on ~5sec after I unplug it. I guess its conceivable that your devices could be getting intermittent connection often enough to keep the LED on, but not continuous enough to charge the battery.

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
I'm charging the devices on another outlet now to see what happens.

When I plug them into the bad outlet, their charge lights illuminate so they get some current at least.... but the batteries run down very quick, like they're not charging much.

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
Update: the 2 devices charge fine on other outlets. Is the GFI outlet in the bathroom was was charging the devices, but only slightly, dangerous?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It can be that the output in the bathroom is power limited.
There can be a 1:1 transformer in it for a couple of watts.
Just enough to run a classic electrical razor.

Bertus

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
Yeah I just cycled it... but the charge light always came on, on the razor and toothbrush, so I don't think it's just a matter of it being in test.

vpoko

Joined Jan 5, 2012
A Kill-a-watt device (less than $20) could tell you how much current is flowing into your razor.

Of course, you could always use multimeter, too. Connecting it in series between the outlet and one leg of the charger would let you see how much current is flowing into your device. Of course, don't do this without the charger (by just attaching your multimeter to hot and neutral) or you'll - at best - blow the fuse on your multimeter.

Personally, just thinking about mains makes the hair on my neck stand up, so I'd either use the Kill-a-watt or just call an electrician.