What is function of electromagnetic lock driver

saathis

Joined Dec 13, 2010
Hi friends,

Here im saathis, regards my final year project. Im using electromagnetic lock driver in my system which will order to open the door. This voice based door access system. After i telling the password, it will carried to electromagnetic lock driver which send to magnetic lock to open the door. So, i want know actual function of electromagnetic lock driver and how i can implement it? Any one can help me?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The driver would just be a switch that would use the low voltage from your password interpretor to a Mosfet gate to switch a higher voltage/current to the lock module. You would need a logic level mosfet to use the voltage from your password interpretor (PIC or other micro?)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Most electric locks are like a deadbolt, but once the access code/button/etc is pressed, the part of the frame that holds the door shut (via the deadbolt) is unlocked, allowing it to pivot outwards/inwards when the door is pushed/pulled.

This keeps all of the electronics in a non-moving area, no wires to door, only a modification to the door frame to change out the chunk of metal/wood that the deadbolt would normally be stopped by with a electrically locking pivot piece. The no power state of this is "locked", so the solenoid needs to unlock the pivot piece so the door can be swung open, and a spring return puts the locking plate back into position.

When the door is open, the deadbolt is still sticking out of the side of the door, this is only a modification to the lock part of the door frame. Failsafe on power fail is using a key to retract the deadbolt and the door opens as any other commercial door would.

For a final project, you may be able to find that part commercially. It would seem the voice recognition and overall design would be what they are looking for your skills for. The door solenoid is simple enough that using a commercial unit would add a professional touch to the project, while not wasting your time with a simple solenoid latch. Unless you are to do a bit of Mechanical Engineering as well to determine materials/etc.