What is correct connectors to use?

mtboulder

Joined Jan 24, 2007
I have a small business in an indsutrial building. The building has 3 phase 208V power. I have several pieces of Europeon equipment that have motors that run on 3 phase power. They are either 20A or 30A. All of this equipment has 3 power lines and one ground (green/yellow) wire. What would be the correct twist-lock plugs and connectors to use? I was thinking of L18-20 and L18-30s or Hubbell 3433C etc and 7411C etc.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Without any concern about the equipment ( current/voltage ratings), use the connectors that have the rating for the application. If Hubbel makes it, and the connector says it will handle the load, then you can rely on it.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
If they are European, what is their voltage.. or have they been converted???
Over here, 3 phase is normally 400volts....., single phase is 230.

wireaddict

Joined Nov 1, 2006
Will the machines run on 208V, 3 phase, or are you using step-up transformers? Also, are you putting the cord connectors on the primary [208V] side of the transformer or the secondary side?

Hubbell's a good company; they have 3 phase, 4-wire twist-lock cord connectors for about every voltage & current combination available. If, by chance, they don't make a plug & socket for the voltage you're using, get a set for the next higher voltage. For the current ratings of the connectors & wire, multiply the full load amprage for each machine by 1.25 & if there's no connector or wire available for this current, use the next higher current rated connectors & wire.