what is a square law device?

scythe

Joined Mar 23, 2009
Hey all, I've been studying up on mixers and stuff, but what exactly is a square law device and what is it useful for?

Ghar

Joined Mar 8, 2010
A square law device is something where either current or voltage depends on the square of the other.

For example, a saturated MOSFET has I proportional to V^2.
A diode's characteristics also has a square but it's not as clean. It's exponential, and through a Taylor series you get linear, square, cubic terms....

Anyway, it's useful because you can use it as a modulator or mixer.

Adding voltages is easy (just use resistors or an op amp) but multiplying is hard. With a square law device like a MOSFET you can do this:

\(I \propto V^2\)
\(I \propto (sin(w_ct) + m(t))^2\)
\(I \propto sin(w_ct)^2 + m(t)^2 + m(t)sin(w_ct)\)

Now if you follow that with a bandpass filter centered on \(w_c\) you just get \(m(t)sin(w_ct)\)
Amplitude modulation.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
A square law device is something where either current or voltage depends on the square of the other.

A diode's characteristics also has a square but it's not as clean. It's exponential, and through a Taylor series you get linear, square, cubic terms....

Adding voltages is easy (just use resistors or an op amp) but multiplying is hard. With a square law device like a MOSFET you can do this:

\(I \propto V^2\)

Now if you follow that with a bandpass filter centered on \(w_c\) you just get \(m(t)sin(w_ct)\)
Amplitude modulation.

A plain old diode also has a square law characteristic right near the forward "turn on" point, which becomes more linear with more voltage. Any such device will act as a mixer to varying degrees of predictability.

Eric

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
To be perfectly accurate, most diodes actually have a current curve which has a CONTINUOUSLY VARYING exponent, but it's square law over a useful region. Special diodes with an expanded true square law region are specially made.

Eric

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008

\(I \propto V^2\)

Amplitude modulation.
Nice post, never thought of that.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hey all, I've been studying up on mixers and stuff, but what exactly is a square law device and what is it useful for?
Howdy:

A simple diode is a square law device over a small region of its operating point. In this region, the current through the diode is proportional to the SQUARE of the applied voltage.
Square law devices are crucial components of logarithmic amplifiers and analog computers.