What is a "Friend"?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I've looked through the FAQ (and possibly missed something) and while I see how to ask people to be my "friend" and how to accept/reject people that ask me to be their "friend", I still have no idea what a "friend" is. Now, part of this probably stems from being a typical engineer since "friends" are a largely foreign concept to my breed to begin with.

Seriously, though. I guess I have a "Contacts" list and I have a "Friends" list. My understanding is that the "Contacts" list is a resource that lets me collect assorted information for people to use as a reference.

But what is the impact of having someone as a "Friend"? I have a couple of people that have asked me to accept them as "friends" and I just don't have any idea what the implication of accepting (or rejecting) the requests are.

NOTE: I don't do social media, so references to how it is like or different from "friending" someone on Facebook or elsewhere will be totally lost on me.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I am curious about this too, though there is no one wants me or I have any desire for someone here to be my friend so far.

My understanding is if someone wants to be your friend, he wants to know you better and able to talk to you on private or personal subjects on "Private Message". Or maybe he was doing a project that you're doing and he wants to discuss the details to you in private. Or.......maybe he simply likes you.....:p

I dont know......:D May be next time when someone wants to be your friend, just ask him why. I hope that's not too rude, isn't it?

Allen

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If someone wants to discuss something in private, then they can use the Private Messenger feature irregardless of whether they are your "friend" or not. Are there some additional resources that are available to people that are "friends"? I don't know, which is why I am asking.

There's also ettiquette issues involved. When someone asks you to be their "friend" and you reject them (and I don't know if you get to send them a reason when you choose that option), is that considered a rude insult?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
How's this for etiquette?:
...they can use the Private Messenger feature irregardless of whether they are your "friend" or not.

irregardless is not a word, and if it were, it would be a double negative. ;)

Sorry, pet peave.

will you be my friend?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
While I agree with your point and definitely agree that I should have used "regardless" or "irrespective" instead, the jury is out on whether it is a word. Many dictionaries now include it and its acceptance continues to grow. At the end of a day, what determines what is and isn't a word is dictated by how widely a "words" is used by people communicate a certain meaning. The "keepers of the language" only have so much sway and, at some point, have to recognize defeat at the hands of the masses.

I will consider being your friend if you tell me what a friend is! ;)

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Apart from the sentimental side of the matter, the only practical difference between contacts and friends, is that you can create picture albums that only your friends can view.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thank you. That is helpful.

Although I don't have any immediate plans to create any picture albums, if I do I would want anyone and everyone to be able to view them; if for no other reason than my policy is that I don't put anything on line that I don't assume, sooner or later, is going to become publicly available. Is that possible? In other words, can only friends view your albums, or do you just have the option to restrict it to friends?

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I've had a few requests from others to be a friend. I didn't 't want to appear rude & have always accepted. Seems a bit quaint a concept. No real advantage to either party that I can see. But it's ok by me. I'm not a social media consumer either WBahn.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My criteria for a friend is simple, I have even posted a thread here about it.

Friend Requests

My criteria is simple, you need to have been on the site for 3 months, and you need to have posted something, anything, and preferably have interacted with me in the past. I get a lot of people just trying the feature like I'm a bot or something. :rolleyes:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Thank you. That is helpful.

Although I don't have any immediate plans to create any picture albums, if I do I would want anyone and everyone to be able to view them; if for no other reason than my policy is that I don't put anything on line that I don't assume, sooner or later, is going to become publicly available. Is that possible? In other words, can only friends view your albums, or do you just have the option to restrict it to friends?
You can specify the permissions on each album separately and "friends only" isn't the default.

EDIT: The tooltip says that you contacts (not friends) can see your private albums. Sorry for the misinformation.