What have I got?

megawatts

Joined Dec 24, 2008
Happy New Year to one and all!

I recently disassembled my wife's Compact Disc Stereo Radio Cassette Recorder thingy and it is filled with all kinds of resistors, capacitors, transistors, diodes and other electronic components; I have been paying attention on this website.
Anyway, I found something that I think is a transformer. It has a 110vAC connection and when I energized it, I get a 12.5-12.7vAC reading with my voltmeter. How can this be possible as there aren't any other wires other than the 110 receptacle in and the two wires from the winding out. Is this a step-down transformer, done internally?

Just curious,
Roland

megawatts

Joined Dec 24, 2008
So then the reduced voltage from 110 is what is needed to provide the necessary current to all of the components to make the "music machine" operate?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
That appears to be the case. Of course the voltage from the output of the transformer is still AC and therefore must undergo additional regulation before it is converted to the DC voltage needed by the components in the "nusic machine".

hgmjr

megawatts

Joined Dec 24, 2008
To do this AC to DC conversion, would this be where a bridge rectifier (diode) come into play? This is what I am trying to do in the thread I posted much earlier. SgtWookie got me lined out with what I need to do with that transformer.

On the case of this transformer there are some numbers along with a backwards UR or RU along with the registered trademark symbol. What does the backward RU mean?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I suspect it stands for UL recognized versus UL registered. It is a label that indicates that the transformer has been tested to a set of safety standards.

hgmjr

megawatts

Joined Dec 24, 2008
Ok, so what about the first part of my question concerning the conversion from AC to DC generated current?
What would need to be done to accomplish this?

megawatts

Joined Dec 24, 2008
Thank you bertus, I'll read this over and go from there.
BTW, I have Danish ancestry, but cannot speak the language.

Roland