what happened if i give frequency little high that 5o to an iron core transformer

adeel

Joined Jun 28, 2008
hi every one. I want to use a transformer of 13 volts to charge two 12 volts batteries in series (24volts)for this i want to increase the main frequency of 50 HZ to 500 HZ . i want to know that it will make it possible to increase voltage of transformer. thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Transformers designed to be operated from the mains have a fairly narrow range where they are at peak efficiency; usually somewhere in the range of 47Hz to 63Hz - they like to design them so they can be operated at either 50Hz or 60Hz. If you try operating it at 500Hz, you may experience significantly greater losses in the core.

You might contact the manufacturer of the transformer that you are considering of using and see what they have to say about the particular model, as your mileage may vary.

adeel

Joined Jun 28, 2008
well i am using a apc ups which uses two batteries to operate but when i checked the transformer voltage it is only 13.5 volts . there is no any voltage booster between transformer and batteries only four plates of FETes 2 FET on a plate but ups charges batteries accurately . i want to use that transformer to charge 24 volts battery system but when i saw the voltage of transformer it is giving only 13.5 volts to charge 24volts battery we need at least 21 volts. I am surprised what is going on i think they used high frequency technique to charge batteries . they are give some little high frequency or may be using FETes to increase voltage to 28 volts. Plz anyone can help me . thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you are using just a multimeter to test the voltage, it may be averaging the peak voltage.

You'll likely either need a peak voltage detector to measure it, or an O-scope.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
btw I wouldn't think that increasing the frequency (assuming the transformer works @ 500hz) would increase the voltage output, just the frequency output.

adeel

Joined Jun 28, 2008
btw I wouldn't think that increasing the frequency (assuming the transformer works @ 500hz) would increase the voltage output, just the frequency output.
okay then what is goin on in the apc is these are FETes which works so that two batteries are charged to 28 volts . Can u plz tell what technique is in use . And if frequency is increased then is it possible to get more dc voltage .thanks.

Last edited:

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
You need to give us more information. What's the UPS model number? Post a picture of the PCBs . There might be other small transformers etc to increase the voltage for the charger. (Electronic) miracles are not possible, however various techniques exist to boost voltage for a battery charger.