What gadget to connect to analog scope's back connector?

Merlysys

Joined Nov 17, 2013
My only scope is an analog one, 60Mhz B&K Precision 2160A.
At the back are two coaxial conns, whats the typical use for the one on the left? labelled CH B(Y) SIGNAL OUTPUT

The manual gives the output conn's specs as...
Output terminal where sample of channel 2 signal is
available. Amplitude of output is nominally 50 mV per
division of vertical deflection seen on CRT when
terminated into 50 Ω. Output impedance is 50 Ω.

I can understand its an (amplified) voltage of channel B. What devices on the market can be connected to it? Tried searching about it but no luck, probably I didn't use the right terminology.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That signal is not designed for any particular "device". It's just an amplified version of the input signal in case you want to observe that signal with another oscilloscope, voltmeter, signal analyzer, etc. at the same time it is being displayed on the B&K.

Merlysys

Joined Nov 17, 2013
Any A/D converter type devices available so the waveform can be stored and viewed?
Even a fraction of a second would do, to examine one shot type circuits which cannot be done with analog scope.

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
My only scope is an analog one, 60Mhz B&K Precision 2160A.
At the back are two coaxial conns, whats the typical use for the one on the left? labelled CH B(Y) SIGNAL OUTPUT

The manual gives the output conn's specs as...
Output terminal where sample of channel 2 signal is
available. Amplitude of output is nominally 50 mV per
division of vertical deflection seen on CRT when
terminated into 50 Ω. Output impedance is 50 Ω.

I can understand its an (amplified) voltage of channel B. What devices on the market can be connected to it? Tried searching about it but no luck, probably I didn't use the right terminology.
This is one of the most useful facilities available on an Oscilloscope.
Many different pieces of test equipment are not designed to be connected to anything other than a 50Ω ,or,in some cases,75Ω or 600Ω output.

Sometimes the workshop manual for the DUT says something like:
"Attach the frequency counter to TP1 & adjust L2 for a frequency of 11.000MHz."

When you look up TP1 on the schematic,you find that its impedance is around 10kΩ,it has a +15v DC component & a signal level of around 5 mV.

If your counter does have a high Z input which you could use a 'scope probe with ,you don't really know if it is AC coupled,& it is almost certainly not sensitive enough.

If you use your Oscilloscope & feed the frequency counter from the (in this case) CH B(Y) SIGNAL OUTPUT,you can use the normal 50Ω frequency counter input,your 'scope can be on "AC Coupled",& you can adjust its vertical gain to give a satisfactory input level to the counter.

So you now have a variable gain input buffer amplifier which as a bonus,shows you the waveform your are testing.

Another application is to take the output of CHB & feed it into CHA input,giving you extra sensitivity.
Obviously,this is limited by the noise level of CHB,but sometimes,"you just have to see a signal" & are not too concerned about noise.

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Any A/D converter type devices available so the waveform can be stored and viewed?
Even a fraction of a second would do, to examine one shot type circuits which cannot be done with analog scope.
I've often thoughf about this,as you could use a reasonably inexpensive "USB Oscilloscope" which are often lacking in the analog input side,& get the best of both worlds.
There are quite a few of these devices around,have a look at EEVblog.com for some discussions on the general merits & failings of USB 'scopes.