What ever happened to free speech?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So the wikileaks guys got thrown of Amazons servers for no apparent reason other then political pressure from some congressman, now they have gotten Paypal to seize Wiki's accounts. Anyone who knows anything about the bead EBAY inc knows when they seize your money they hold it for 6 months. I feel bad for freedom, and democracy. These docs should be public. If anything it makes the people look real, and not BS politics. I want to hear our military generals calling Afgan army cowards if its true, I want to hear about cozy relationships between corps and elected officials. Plus I like to hear you can buy an election. Look at the FL election. One party spend 8 million, the other spent 80 million and was a convicted con man and had to repay medicare 1 billion dollars.
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/dec/04/040929/paypal-cuts-wikileaks-from-money-flow/news-breaking/

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Like most exercises of rights and powers it only matters if you are willing to go out on a limb to defend them. What is the condign punishment for elected officials who support assasination of people they don't like? I hardly think voting them out of office covers it. Ultimately it is up to each and every one of us to say what is important, loudly, publicaly, and without fear.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
So the wikileaks guys got thrown of Amazons servers for no apparent reason other then political pressure from some congressman, now they have gotten Paypal to seize Wiki's accounts. Anyone who knows anything about the bead EBAY inc knows when they seize your money they hold it for 6 months.
I agree up to this point.

I feel bad for freedom, and democracy.
Amazon, etc. are large corporations. They are not the government, though. In a sense, they are no different than this forum. If you use them, you play by their rules, try to change the rules, or go elsewhere.

These docs should be public.
Clearly some, maybe most should be public, but definitely not all of them. The real risk here is that our government may classify everything written on paper obtained through Federal contract. That would destroy our freedom.

John

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
This is why, in an age of massive centralization of power, small axes of information, like forums and small radio stations are more important than ever.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I hear that in Florida you might not win even if you get more votes than your opponent, but that was a while ago now.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Read up on the methodology of Pericles in Athens. To enforce the participation on the democratic debates held daily, he turned out the army to force the male citizens to the agora. Penalties were levied against latecomers.

But all were free to speak.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Sensors every where in all forms, censorship of the lip.
Freedom Ill equiped to stand against the force In place.
Our one person, one vote In danger of defeat,lets hope
that history keeps repeating as we know It to be. Time
Is on the the side of blood, blood will always flow for
freedom. Dna tells us every thing will be ok ,we have
the key to our past and future. It tells us all ,we cannot
be destroyed by man. Loosewire,wm

milesguidon

Joined Dec 4, 2010
Many people seem to have this expectation that government should be absolutely perfect. I'm not sure where it came from--I mean, think about it--when is it ever reasonable to expect anything to be completely perfect?

Government is something you give money to, and in return it builds roads and schools and provides infrastructure for most of life's necessities. Don't say that you have no choice, and that the government takes the money from you rather than you giving it over. Thats not true, you have choices--it's just that the alternative sucks and nobody wants to go live in the middle of nowhere and live in the wilderness with no medicine, defense, etc. Its much more comfortable to hand money over to an institution that allows you to be comfortable if you work for it. That's the point. It doesn't have to be as complicated as many people make it seem.

So, that's what government is for. Government is not for consoling everybody's insecurities and fixing everybody's problems. For a government to make public all of its inner-workings is a complete waste of time. Corporations don't make public all of their business dealings, because then we would have a market rife with insider trading. Think of what our world would be rife with if government made public all of their diplomatic dealings.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You are all of the above that you listed,would you spill your
blood for them to keep working. You are the government,self
governing that makes things work.

I don't think I would spill my blood for a government to keep working, but it certainly depends on the circumstances. If the same problem that threatened the government strongly offended my personal fundamentals, then maybe I'd give it some thought.

You are claiming that I govern myself, and in doing so I make things work. To me, and I would hope to everybody else as well, that sounds perfectly normal. To lack self-control is an awful thing, and to have things work is a wonderful thing. Is this opposite day?

Blackbull

Joined Jul 26, 2008
From today’s Sun newspaper (a paper I certainly wouldn’t buy): Tory Patrick Mercer said Julian Assange – subject of a fresh arrest warrant over rape claims – said: ‘Mr. Assange is working for al-Qaeda and the Taliban.’ Sun security expert and ex – SAS hero Andy McNab said: ‘Soldiers will feel these leaks are irresponsible.” US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spoke of her “regret” over the leaks. Is putting people’s life in danger free speech?
I am a little biased here Wikileaks released my details as a member of a legitimate political party when I WAS NOT; contrary to the Data Protection Act (another piece of worthless paper). Or is that free speech?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Sir BlackBull ,That would be called your opinion,you cannot carry the weight
of the World,but you are right to make us share that weight. That makes you
a patriot. Loosewire,wm

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Free speech is speech you dont have to pay for. ;)

Seriously.

It basicially means you cant be punished for speaking out for or against a topic.

In the old days, you could be killed for saying "Man, our king SUCKS!"

They would KILL YOU.

So in a free speech society, the newspapers can print "Senator ______ slept with a woman last night. It was not his wife."

If it is true, there is no LEGAL trouble to be had.

If you are making it up to destroy credibility or reputation, it is slander.

Our women can scream that they want lovins' from your best friend.

In other countries, she has to pay for that speech. with her life.

It is LEGAL to stone a woman who speaks out against her religion, state, or husband.
In a free speech environment, you can scream back, and you speech is protected also, as long as it is before 11pm ;)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Can I sale you a phone card or sym card. ( for free speech )
Why sell? Can't u give?

Aaah!! tht sort of free speech....we too have that here...occasionally.

Freedom of speech....

Yaaaa.!!
I yell what ever I want to the political ding bats here....
I can write what ever I want on FB...hee hee..I can get a lotta people pissed off

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Free speech doesn't cover releasing information that was stolen from a classified system.

That would be like a cashier taking your credit card number down at the gas station, then telling a lot of people, claiming "free speech". Some things ARE private.

I don't care about the bank stuff, but I do find it odd that Washington didn't bother when they released the "leaks" regarding Afganistan informants, or the one that covered military methodology that put troops in danger. However, if he has something on the banks, he needs to be punished! That last part doesn't make sense.

Read the First Amendment, Free Speech doesn't equal "All Information about government is Public". It simply says groups of people are allowed to peacefully assemble and talk about what they would like to, with no thought police. If they are discussing criminal activity that they were a party to, then police will get involved at some point.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The thing I wonder about it the source of the leaks. The gentleman in charge of WikiLeaks may or may not be culpable, but how about his sources?