What Do You Use for a "Project Box"?

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
Hello everyone, just a fun question for you all. What do you guys mostly use as project boxes and why?

I know sometimes project boxes can make a world of a difference of material type sometimes depending what your working on, I use the none project box approach, since it's easier or I use plastic. I'm thinking on making my girlfriend a little stereo system for her Ipod. I'm considering using wood, since it's kind of the classic approach, plus I plan on changing the look of it using something like 'fur' over it, since chicks dig that. ;)

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Lately I've used wood, or plywood.

Since I'm the the I'm in construction, I got almost unlimited access to leftovers, and that's what I use.

I'll guess that in the end, it all depends on what type of project it is.

Attachments

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
lol, yeah something nice then that. Just create a box with left and right speakers and a homemade audio driver inside with audio control and a few other little settings. I want to get a small sub woofer, and maybe 2 way speakers in it.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I guess you want something nicer than this? :D
There you go showing off your posh cabinetry with your little plastic feet and piney wood and fancy knobs and such. :p

I lean towards the all plastic models with all the corners rounded. This is from the Hammond 1551 series.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I take discarded PC cases, cut and bend into two halves.
The problem is you need to have access to a sheet metal shear and brake.
I will post photos later.

Last edited:

MBVet05

Joined Jul 21, 2011
You can get countless sizes and materials for project boxes from Digikey that won't break the bank. I have used many from them for excellent results.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
What? No mention of my top of the line speakers? How insulting!
I was tought that if I couldn't say something nice, I shouldn't say anything at all; the lesson didn't take. I have a set of those exact same speakers and their best feature is a snap-off foot. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Haven't you used masonry jars for LED flashers in diving projects?

If you go too deep, you could always fill them with kerosene or some other nonconducting fluid.

Fact is, an enclosure does not have to have holes in it to protect from the elements.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Haven't you used masonry jars for LED flashers in diving projects?

If you go too deep, you could always fill them with kerosene or some other nonconducting fluid.

Fact is, an enclosure does not have to have holes in it to protect from the elements.
Yes I have. Totally forgot about that one.

It's here.

For now I'm only allowed to got down 18m.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This is not a criticism, but I would have done it differently. It is a matter of personal style. What you have, works.

Just had an odd thought. I remember a show where they gave octopuses puzzles, turns out the little critters are quite the problem solvers, and are very smart. Didn't take them long to figure out how to unscrew the jar.

At one point it was the puzzle, not the treat inside, that turned the animal on. They were full, but would leave the treat after they solved the puzzle. It was fascinating.

So here is your jar...

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I used to get a lot of the old metal A-B monitor/serial/parallel/keyboard switch boxes. Of course the original holes were always too many and in the wrong places. My solution, after gutting them, was to first strip the paint off their removable front and rear panels. I would then cover each hole, on the side that will be facing out, with a piece of Scotch tape. Then I would lay the panels face down and fill the holes with JB Weld epoxy. I was then free to drill new holes anywhere I wanted. After repainting, you could not tell where the original holes were.

Ken

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hello everyone, just a fun question for you all. What do you guys mostly use as project boxes and why?

I know sometimes project boxes can make a world of a difference of material type sometimes depending what your working on, I use the none project box approach, since it's easier or I use plastic. I'm thinking on making my girlfriend a little stereo system for her Ipod. I'm considering using wood, since it's kind of the classic approach, plus I plan on changing the look of it using something like 'fur' over it, since chicks dig that. ;)
I collect any and every item that remotely looks like a project box at fleamarkets and such. I have used cigar boxes, Altoids tins, coffee cans, a metal canteen, guitar "stomp boxes" pill bottles, speaker cabinets, and breadboards using real bread boards! :)

Eric

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
Ice cream cartons, lol. That made my day, I've never heard of that before.

Yeah I could use something random, plus it may save the hassel of having to get my fingers being smashed by a hammer. I'll have to look around at a second hand store and see if I find anything that would be pretty cool, that can hold a transformer and a 5-16 watt speaker. ^^

stoopkid

Joined Mar 3, 2011
I learned that some cigar shops will simply GIVE you cigar boxes. They just throw them away anyway. Don't let anyone sell one to you. This was a nice shop in New York City, too. I was vising a relative and he just collects them as decoration. Not just the cardboard ones, they have some nice wood boxes with interesting opening mechanics.

I also collect tins, if you keep an eye out, you can find some pretty good stuff.

Attachments