what could be the minimum frequency of digital signal ?

munna007

Joined Jul 23, 2008
hello frends.....this question is asked to me in interview.....i am unable to find its answer....can u please tell me ????

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
hello frends.....this question is asked to me in interview.....i am unable to find its answer....can u please tell me ????
As audioguru has indicated there is no practical limit to the length of the period of a squarewave. Is there a particular low frequency in which you are interested?

hgmjr

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
Actually the period cannot exceed the age of the universe. If you have a signal at 0 hz, you may have to wait a while, or a long while or a longer while to see if it really is 0.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
If sampling, then at least twice the highest frequency you want resolution of.

For standard gates, DC, in the "ideal sense", 0 Hz for ∞.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Actually the period cannot exceed the age of the universe. If you have a signal at 0 hz, you may have to wait a while, or a long while or a longer while to see if it really is 0.
The point is that any DC signal including GND fits the literal definition of "periodic" in the sense f(x) = f(x+2∏) for all x from -∞ to +∞. I don't have to wait for the end of the universe, DC is DC and constant by definition.

Last edited:

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
The point is that any DC signal including GND fits the literal definition of "periodic" in the sense f(x) = f(x+2∏) for all x from -∞ to +∞. I don't have to wait for the end of the universe, DC is DC and constant by definition.
Yes and for all frequencies. But you do not know it is DC if you do not wait, it may simply be a long period square wave.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I agree if you are conducting an experiment. The original question asked for a minimum frequency. Zero frequency is one possible answer if you allow a constant value to be included in the set of periodic waveforms. The other possible answer is some infinitesimally small frequency ω that approaches zero from the right, call it 0+, and as has already been observed, you will have to wait a long tome to see it return to its original value.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I agree if you are conducting an experiment. The original question asked for a minimum frequency. Zero frequency is one possible answer if you allow a constant value to be included in the set of periodic waveforms. The other possible answer is some infinitesimally small frequency ω that approaches zero from the right, call it 0+, and as has already been observed, you will have to wait a long tome to see it return to its original value.
Think about giving that answer in an interview though, especially if they actually were looking for the Nyquist limit.

I've had some interviewees crash and burn by thinking every question had a hidden "trick answer".

munna007

Joined Jul 23, 2008
in digital singla processing by prokias its written that frequency of digital signal varies from -1/2 to +1/2 hz.is it write ????

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
in digital singla processing by prokias its written that frequency of digital signal varies from -1/2 to +1/2 hz.is it write ????
Not quite. In the continuous domain there is no concept of negative frequency. In the digital domain there are two thing going on:

1. A "band-limited signal" has a certain bandwidth. That is there is a minimum and maximum frequency. Signals are often represented by centering the band about the vertical axis. So negative frequency is that part of the band below the "center frequency"
  2. Frequencies in cycles per second(Hz.) or radians per second are normalized with respect to the sampling frequency givina a range of [0..1]*Fs or [-0.5..0.5]*Fs, where Fs is the sampling frequency. The sampling frequency needs to be at least twice the frequency of the highest frequency in the signal being sampled.