What capacitor should I use?

Josue Tortola

Joined Mar 25, 2011
Hi Guys!!!
My name is Josue Tortola, I am a new member, I´m from Guatemala, C.A. thanks a lot in advance for your help!!!
I had to rewind the power supply for my Casio keyboard...an AC adapater Model AD-5UL Ver.No. TC3 Input:AC 120V 60Hz 14W
Output:9V DC850mA. The trouble is that this transformer use a capacitor in the primary but it is impossible to know the value because it is inserted into the plastic that holds the wire (into the spool).I tried to get it out from there but I couldn´t.
Any of you know the value of that capacitor or can tell me what capacitor should I use?
I have plugged my keyboard with this rewinded AC adapter and it works but now the transformer gets too hot and I guess is because it needs the capacitor.
Thank you very much for your time and answers!!!!

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Probably a class X 100n capacitor, which is used to reduce EMI emissions. It's unlikely this cap will make too much of a difference and the transformer may have another issue.

Josue Tortola

Joined Mar 25, 2011
Thank you Tom66!!!
I agree with you...the capacitor should not make much of a difference but I remember I read somewhere that the usage of a capacitor in the primary is for lowering the current input... if that´s true that would affect the temperature in the trasnformer.
Thank you very much for your time and advice!!!!