What can of relay or system do I need to use for 7000V rat trap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjuna1

Joined Dec 1, 2020
Please forgive if some information or diagrams are missing, I will provide any information you consider necessary if you ask for it in the thread. As you might soon discover I have no background/knowledge in electrical engineering.

I will start working on a project to build an electric rat trap, similar to this:

A friend of mine found what I think is a boost converter that a friend of his built and outputs 7000V (according to a drawing we found).

The trigger could be a motion sensor, distance sensor or laser interruptor.

Then I thought to trigger a relay. I have this kind of relay: tinyurl.com/4chj9yt7

Can this tiny relay handle it?

If it is a matter of power (watts), can I know how much power is coming out of the boost converter (that is, can I find out the current)?

Any general thoughts on the project?

Thanks!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If it is a matter of power (watts), can I know how much power is coming out of the boost converter (that is, can I find out the current)?

Any general thoughts on the project?

Thanks!
Please post the diagram/schematic of the converter. That is the only way to answer your question about power.

As for a relay, at 7000V it is probably not so much a question power, but arcing. Even at low voltage, relay contacts generate sparks. That will allow 7000V to jump a pretty far distance. That is, once an arc is started, it can be drawn out. That is not to say that power is not a concern.

I agree about the inadvisability of continuing this project. Why not just buy the trap and see if it works? Rats, as opposed to mice, are difficult to trap. They are very suspicious animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.