What can I make from a generator?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've always thought it would be cool to couple a gas engine to an air compressor. I'm sure there are gas powered compressors out there, but all I've ever run across are electrics. I've got a compressor with a bum motor, so if I had a generator that didn't generate, I'd take the gas engine out and put it on my compressor.

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
I cleaned some connections, broke the fan. Re adjusted the position of the coil.
started it. after 5 minutes the power kicked on and was fairly stable.
Except for the fact the 12v charger reads 25v on the 50vdc meter setting.
The outlet reads way off that chart on 250v ac setting and 150 on the 500v ac setting.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
The voltages are OK for that type of generator with no load. Measure the voltage on the 110v with about 500Watt load. Also check that its running at a bout 3600RPM to give 60Cycles, if this isnt correct it can also affect the voltage. The 12VDC sounds about right for no load, the 12v is unregulated. Not wise to charge a 12V battery on these without monitoring the voltage, as it can go as high as 18V when the battery is fully charged.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
It's 1.5kΩ/5 watt resistor. You should be able to measure it, maybe in-circuit. If it is greater that 1.5K in-circuit, it's open. If less that 1.5K, it may be open or OK. At that point you would need to check it after removing it.

Ken

Last edited:

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
ok I will replace the resistor and see what happens.
I might just use the motor for a gokart and fix it up and ask $200 for it.
That should clear some debt but the sandingand painting the frame wil take for ever.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
I've always thought it would be cool to couple a gas engine to an air compressor. I'm sure there are gas powered compressors out there, but all I've ever run across are electrics. I've got a compressor with a bum motor, so if I had a generator that didn't generate, I'd take the gas engine out and put it on my compressor.

A great idea, and it will work........:D
I have all the parts garnered for a project compressor for the back of my pickup........I snagged a "Speedaire" 3- lung - radial unit at a garage sale, with heads / intake filters hopelessly clogged, and nothing else wrong..........so built a framework to mount the compressor next to the [ Kohler 13 hp single lung 4 - stroke Vertical Shaft ] engine off my old JohnDeere STX 38 lawn tractor, w/ electric PTO.
I ran the 3-lung static, off a 1- horse 1725 electric motor / 8" pulley to a 14" on the compressor..........that sucker will run an air die-grinder wide open continuouslyor an impact wrench for rotating your tires...... without breaking a sweat. When finally assembled and operational, I'll post a picture or 2

Last edited: