What can i do with this?

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You can do all sorts of amazing stuff with microcontrollers.

Depending on your knowledge of electronics, very advanced projects can be made for a rather "beginner level" hobbyist. IF you know a programming language and are willing to learn, that is.

Here is an example dev board that another member here did some neat projects with. There are tons around, what you have is the programmer/real time debugging system for the PICs. The ICs themselves cost under $5, you can get 4 for free as samples if you know what you'd like to do. The 18F2550 has some good "general use" features, but there are thousands to choose from. I'd suggest staying with the PIC16 or PIC18 series, and be sure the ICD2 is supported.

--ETA: I'd suggest downloading the latest MPLAB, as well as a compiler, I use Boost C, and sometimes Mikro C or Mikro BASIC, which is what a lot of others here use as well.

The bundled Hi-Tech and CCS compilers are a bit too expensive for hobbyist use, while the compilers mentioned above are generous with their eval versions and affordable. C18 from Microchip is free for the PIC18 series, but optimizations are disabled after 90 days, at which point it is also expensive.

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The bundled Hi-Tech and CCS compilers are a bit too expensive for hobbyist use, while the compilers mentioned above are generous with their eval versions and affordable. C18 from Microchip is free for the PIC18 series, but optimizations are disabled after 90 days, at which point it is also expensive.
Both HI-Tech C and Microchip C are free in lite mode. For PIC16 and PIC18 series. In lite mode most of the optimizations are turned off. But it is no code size limit. For the hobbyist they may still be an good alternative.
See here for more info http://www.microchip.com/stellent/i...deId=1406&dDocName=en534868&page=wwwCompilers

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Mele Kalikimaka !! Yer lucky some bonehead didn't throw it out or beat you to it. aside from that, I would post a "cryptic" message on your whatever board, saying only " merchandise found - name it and claim it" .......... no response in a week or two, you own it !!

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Test it if its ok or not using MPLAB and with any lowcost PIC in my option use PIC18F4520 if its ok you can do a lot with that chip and the ICD(In circuit debugger). I dont think anybody will throw an ICD it may be damaged or its lost.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I have read that output buffer of the was something that was easy to burn. But if it works it is a good find. My component vendor sold ICD 2 units with 80% of the price knocked off. I gave one to my nephew together with some chips and prototype board as xmas gift

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005
Thanks.. i also got this in the kit: PICDEM 2 plus
Once again i dunnoe what i can do with it? Can i program PIC chips with it? what is its limitation?
i just got interested in microcontroller programming and have also look into arduino and others...

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Can i program PIC chips with it?
No,you need a separate programmer like ICD to program your chip,after programming you need to test your work (mcu) you do it with PICDEM 2 development board.

what is its limitation?
Many,it depends on your work ,at first as you are starting with mcu it will not a very big problem most of the thing you will need to test could be done with this.

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en010072

Good luck

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005
No,you need a separate programmer like ICD to program your chip,after programming you need to test your work (mcu) you do it with PICDEM 2 development board.

Many,it depends on your work ,at first as you are starting with mcu it will not a very big problem most of the thing you will need to test could be done with this.

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en010072

Good luck
i have this MPLAB ICD 2(see Post#1) and the thing in your link .. so i can program PIC chip. And what is a mcu?

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Ton of things, kind of like my $4 http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/MSP430_LaunchPad_(MSP-EXP430G2)

Get all the code that goes with it but it's all compilable down. Plugs right into your PC and you'll learn. I've done a lot with mine so far but nothing to brag about.

You mess up, you just start over, no big deal. Poke around Microsoft and they'll give you the best copies of C & other things. A heck of a lot easier to work with.

Seems I answered your question before?

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Both HI-Tech C and Microchip C are free in lite mode. For PIC16 and PIC18 series. In lite mode most of the optimizations are turned off. But it is no code size limit. For the hobbyist they may still be an good alternative.
See here for more info http://www.microchip.com/stellent/i...deId=1406&dDocName=en534868&page=wwwCompilers
All of those listed are free in Lite mode (code size limit), but the two I recommended do not time out for optimizations.

The reason I see this as a plus is that if you are working on a project and are close to max memory or RAM usage, then the evaluation expires, the code size increases. If you start with a compiler that always optimizes, you don't run into that issue. In addition, the Mikro and Boost products are very low cost compared to licensing HiTech or C18.

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005
Hey guys i finally got time to set these up but i am stuck. I got all the connection for my PC+ICD+PICDEM 2 Plus 2006 + 4520LCDr1.Hex chip(pic184520?) up.Everything powered up except the LCD screen on the board.(board is powered) i got it connected to the Mplab software on my PC. I tried to search for tutorial and stuff but got lost.

i got a hard time figuring out how to use/program with mplab. All i want to do is have some tutorial that i can follow to make LED blink/LCD display..etc.. Any help will be appreciated.

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005
Thanks for all help given above. Anyway i was trying to find some mcu project and i stumbled upon this TV-B-Gone project from http://www.instructables.com/id/350-DIY-TV-B-Gone-Mico/ .

i am thinking if i can use PIC16/18 chip to make one of this. Is is possible to rebuild program code(for AVR) into PIC? Because i think both AVR and PIC are MCU and maybe i can build that with PIC 16/18 which i already have before considering buying the AVR parts.

I believe this is just a Universal remote control? Any idea i can make using PIC16/18?

Any help will be appreciated.