What can cause phase angle change in an AC RLC circuit?

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
Lets say you have been given an AC power supply, a few inductors, capacitors, resistors, and 1 diode. How could you configure the components to change the phase angle so the output + and - are 180 degrees out of phase?

I'm wondering because I have seen a circuit which has a single AC source. The cirucit uses inductors, capacitors, resistors and 1 diode to somehow change the phase angle. The output at the load looks like 2 sine waves that are exactly 180 degrees out of phase.

How could this be possible?

Also, Wouldn't a circuit in this case short out?

lowprofile

Joined Oct 31, 2011
I am just a student and I don't know enough to teach, but phase angle change is an integral part of circuits whose impedance is made of both resistance and reactance. This is a bit of a deep topic so it'd be best to do some research!

One tip I learned when calculating phase angle and magnitude:
You can think of your magnitude for resistance and reactance as rectangular co-ordinates. If you use your calculator's "rectangular co-ord -> polar co-ord" you can save a lot of steps.. ie, previously I was entering the entire pythagorean theorem, but using Rec->Pol will also give you the phase angle, the calculator will save it in a memory location. (this probably doesn't help you very much :)

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
The output at the load looks like 2 sine waves that are exactly 180 degrees out of phase.
I'm wondering what it is that you think that might look like. If you add two phases of any relative angle together, you result is a single sinewave that represents the summation of the two.

Pure capacitance has current leading voltage by 90 degrees, while pure inductance has it lagging by 90 degrees. Resistance is in phase and will pull the previous vectors toward unity, or in phase.