What cable do I need to connect 16-pin 1 mm pitch connectors?

zylstra

Joined Jan 29, 2021
Here is an image of the male and female 16-pin connectors that I need to connect with a cable. Where can I purchase a cable for this purpose?

20210127_101529.jpg

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I searched my usual suppliers (Digikey and Mouser) and Aries (a supplier to Digikey) for assembled cables. "Non-stock" for the description you give. Be absolutely sure the pitch is 1 mm and not 1.27 mm or something else.

Once you are sure of that, you can find empty/unloaded connectors and individual, pre-crimped wires to use with them at DigiKey and other distributors.

How much space is there for that connection?

Was that at one time a board to board connection and now you want to add a cable?

zylstra

Joined Jan 29, 2021
This link has a number of options for 1mm pitch dual inline connectors.
E
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=1mm+pitch+dual+in+line+connectors
I see no cables/wires, only connectors.
Be absolutely sure the pitch is 1 mm and not 1.27 mm or something else.

Once you are sure of that, you can find empty/unloaded connectors and individual, pre-crimped wires to use with them at DigiKey and other distributors.

How much space is there for that connection?

Was that at one time a board to board connection and now you want to add a cable?
The pitch is certainly 1 mm.
Image 2021-01-30.png

I am new to this. Do you have an example for the empty/unloaded connectors and individual, pre-crimped wires to which you refer?

There is potentially unlimited space to the sides of these connectors.

This was at one time a board-to-board connection and now I want to add a cable.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Unloaded connectors and pre-crimped wires are common. However,the pins in your example are round, That may be harder to find. Square pins are probably OK.

Search on your favorite distributor for unshrouded, 16 contact, 2 row, 1 mm pitch wire to board connectors. Once you pick your connectors (from the same series) then finding the pre-crimped wires is easy.

zylstra

Joined Jan 29, 2021
OK, so I have to built this out of two connectors (one male and one female) and 16 wires with a pre-crimped pin on one end and a pre-crimped pin acceptor on the other?

I look here for example and see no connectors that will work. In fact, there is not even an option for 16 in the "Number of Positions" filter. Or here with no 1 mm pitch.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Mouser's parametric search used to be horrible, now it is just bad. Digikey's is better but getting worse. Also try going directly to the manufacturers, like TE, AMP, Hirose, and JST.

You still have not answered my question about whether that was a board to board connection that you want to add a cable to. If that is the case, you may need to be a bit MacGyver.

zylstra

Joined Jan 29, 2021
Haha. I'll try searching/contacting those manufacturers.
This was at one time a board-to-board connection and now I want to add a cable.
I'm all about being a MacGyver. The time consuming part is going to be learning how all this stuff works and what I need to do.

zylstra

Joined Jan 29, 2021
The best solution was to convert the female header to male with two GCT BC020-08-A-0200-0300-L-G with one side sanded down so they could fit side-by-side. Then construct the cable with Harwin components: sixteen M40-9040099 and four M40-1100800, again sanded down. The tricky part is sanding: you must sand only in short intervals to reduce melting or weakening the structures.

MFG_BC020-08-A-0200-0300-L-G.pngM40-9040099.png
M40-1100800_v1_SPL.png
Of course one BC035-16-A-0200-0300-L-G, with two rows of eight pins, and two M40-1200800, with two rows of eight sockets, would have worked better, but they were more difficult to find.

20210217_144339.jpg

20210217_144531.jpg

Last edited: