What Battery charger and inverter for home heater.

JustMe234

Joined Feb 25, 2017
Hello,

I have in home radiator heater and there is a pump to circulate the hot water to all radiators and bring the cold water to boiler to heat again.
Problem is electricity cutt off in winter many times because old network.
If the pump not work the home is cold.

So i think to get a car battery an inverter and a charger to charge the battery.

The pump work on 220v and its around 120w

What types of invert/battery you suggest?

Thanks

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Hello,

I have in home radiator heater and there is a pump to circulate the hot water to all radiators and bring the cold water to boiler to heat again.
Problem is electricity cutt off in winter many times because old network.
If the pump not work the home is cold.

So i think to get a car battery an inverter and a charger to charge the battery.

The pump work on 220v and its around 120w

What types of invert/battery you suggest?

Thanks
Most circulator pumps are capacitor start/run type which by design have fairly low startup current draws so more than likely any fair quality inverter of 500 watts or more should handle it fine. The only issue is with a common non sine wave type inverter is that the motor may make a bit more noise.

As for the battery I would recomend a group 31 deep cycle type not an normal automotive starting battery. Under normal operation with a battery of that size, even including system loses, you should be able to get a good 10 hours run time from one charge.

Regarding chargers I would get something that is rated for around 10 amps or a bit more tha has a multi stage charge control being it will likely be left on the battery all the time. With a 10+ amp multistage charger a run down group 31 battery would be able to fully recharge in around 10 - 15 hours.

Now for a interesting thing to ponder on given you have a boiler system you have a moderately hot heat source that is capable of a fair amount of energy output. For a alternative charging or run time extending system you could conceivably use Peltier coolers running in reverse as thermoelectric generators to supplement the battery run time by using heat off of the boiler to generate additional power for the system. Theres a good chance that with several larger capacity units running as thermoelectric generators you could easily boost your battery run times by a few hours or longer or indefinitely if you have enough electrical generating capacity and a large enough heatsink to work with.

Just something to ponder over on the last part. ;)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If the pump runs only when the house needs heat under thermostat control, then the battery should last even longer than tcmtech calculated.
My estimates were for total pump run time regardless of whether its continuous or a few 10's of minutes at a time. However if the run times are far enough past the battery may lose a bit to likely a noticeable amount of total pump run time simply due to the inverter's small standby power draw. That's where my musings on using a Peltier cooler set running as thermoelectric generators came in as a theoretical way to supplement the drain on the battery and just possible even do some recharging work too if made large enough.

Don't forget to put in under voltage protection else you will kill your battery pretty quickly by deep discharging it.
Most decent power inverters already have that feature built in.

Herrydas

Joined Jun 3, 2015
Multiple bands inverter and battery charger for home is available in market from Exide, Microtek, Luminous, Sukam at best prices. Choose according to your requirement and electric load. Recently i bought Microtek 24X7 Hybrid 950 VA online from BatteryBhai.com, It's best suitable for small home appliances like Fans, heater, lights,TV and more.

JustMe234

Joined Feb 25, 2017
I would use a small diesel generator, and feed that onto your mains, better than an inverter.
Even that idea looks good but it has to be automatic when the electricity come off the generator should turn on by itself and i think it should be connected in way that when water is cold the generator should stop (in night). Could you suggest a brand or model.

Last edited: