Western Digital(WD) disks are they trust worty

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Some years ago. I had a lot of problems with WD caviar SE disks delivered with DELL bench top computers. After a few years they started to fail. In a rather big numbers. In most cases I was lucky to have 3 year guarantee. So Dell sent me new disks. But since then I have decided to not use anything from WD. I could have use for some new disks for my private equipment. And WD disks are quite cheap. So how are they compared to others then it comes to quality these days

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
They come in different grades. I've had 4 1TB WD Blacks running in my development computer, probably on 12-14 hours/day, since Jan 2010 w/no problems. Its a small sample but I've had more trouble with Seagates. YMMV

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
They come in different grades. I've had 4 1TB WD Blacks running in my development computer, probably on 12-14 hours/day, since Jan 2010 w/no problems. Its a small sample but I've had more trouble with Seagates. YMMV
The black series cost somewhat more and offer 5 year guarantee. Will look into that. Anyway, I will be running the disks in RAID 1. So I will always have a backup.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
It's been a long time since I had any issues with WD. I have some servers that are on all the time. They have SCSI disks. In my room I have some desktops that I turn off only when I'm going on vacation. I think they have WD disks in them.

Don't WD have lifetime warranty on there disks? Or was it just a hype some years ago?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It's been a long time since I had any issues with WD. I have some servers that are on all the time. They have SCSI disks. In my room I have some desktops that I turn off only when I'm going on vacation. I think they have WD disks in them.

Don't WD have lifetime warranty on there disks? Or was it just a hype some years ago?
Well it looks that they have improved since back then. Anyway a HD like any storage media are prone to fail sooner or later. But I like to be later than sooner.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
The black series cost somewhat more and offer 5 year guarantee. Will look into that. Anyway, I will be running the disks in RAID 1. So I will always have a backup.
I'm also running RAID (mirrored - I forget which RAID that is) Anyway, stay away from WD SmartWare backup software. Its a mess.