weller wlc100

wii552

Joined Dec 2, 2009
I just bought myself a weller WLC100 soldering station, and I am quite pleased with it. My only question: the numbers o the dial go from 1 to 5, and the iron goes from 5 watts to 40 watts. I am wondering what the temperature/wattage of each number would be (if you know)

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
With a range of 5 - 40, that is a span of 35 watts. If the power control is linear, that should be 7 watts/division.

I think you may find tip temperature and the ability to maintain it is more significant.

wii552

Joined Dec 2, 2009
hmmm...I also want to know if it is normal to be able to turn the knob past tke lowest setting...

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
the Settings knob on those units are not very precise, we have used plenty of those models at the shop, and they are pretty much almost a "disposable" unit, it will work fine for a while, then you will end up having to replace the heater core after a couple months (if you constantly use it) and also, the set screw that holds the tip in, has a tendency of corroding and sticking to where you will strip the hex head very easily, since the heat makes the set screw loose its temper. I would take that out once in a while and use some (silicon based, more heat resilient) anti seize compound on it to prevent it from sticking, and possibly replace it when replacing the tip.

When soldering components, set the dial on 3, 4 would be good for larger through hole components, this is the best setting for PCB assembly, anything above that is too hot and could lift traces off the pcb.

The tips used on these are not very durable either, if using flux core solder, I would make sure to wipe the tip with a wet sponge each and every time you solder a joint, if you let it sit on the tip, the flux will quickly eat up the tip, just keep it clean and well tinned before and after each use.

The cord on the end of the soldering tool has a tendency of failing right at the end of the tool, I would try not to bend that area too much or too often, or it could damage the cord, (easy to fix, but after a while it becomes a nuisance!)

But as a beginners tool, these units are cheap and very handy to have around.... I have 2 or 3 that I use as backup just in case my Weller WES51 unit fails....

My .02

wii552

Joined Dec 2, 2009
lolz....and you put a pic of your new weller in WHY? nevermind...mine has a flathead screw, not a hex screw.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
mine has a flathead screw, not a hex screw.

The tip in the top portion of the picture has the hex head screw, which I ended up having to replace the flathead screw with when it stripped (and it will since the heat is going to soften it up and seize it in place) and the bottom one in the pic still has the flat head screw in it that wont come out...

either way, if you take good care of it and keep the tip clean and tinned and when not using it, make sure you place it in the spring holder while on.

and always try to remove the screw holding the tip and keep some silicone based anti seize compound on it to keep it from sticking.....

Have fun with your new "toy"!;)