Well, finally i think i may have a plan :O)

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
Hello to all, I have been wanting to do something with myself for just about a year now. I had tried going to a trade school but turned out to be a big time flaw. After that i kinda went into a slum do to not being able to go to school due to time and family.

Well, finally something happened!!!!

My wife had lost her job and is on unemployment. She was making more money then me not to mention she is 3 years younger then me. I kinda felt bad about that. So far any jobs that have come her way are way way less then she was making which makes it a stupid decision to take that when she can get almost what she was making from unemployment so until that runs out were okay.

For the last two months i have been talking with our mortgage company to try to get a modification done on our mortgage. LOL they do not care one bit, i have told them within this year the unemployment will run out and i am afraid of losing the house. Well, they told me i do not qualify for anything LOL... They say i am not deliquent !!! So i said okay you want to see deliquent i will show you deliquent.

Well, my wife is totally pissed off now about that and i had proposed an idea i have been thinking about for quite some time....

I thought this, since the mortgage company tells me the only option for me is to refinance. which only knocks off 70 dollars a month of the mortgage. i told them i need hundreds off the mortgage they say i do not qualify for any modifications. So i thought i will refinance get my mother in law off the mortgage and then forclose on the house. the reason for this is one we hate the house too much repairs needed and the house is not worth it now.
I talked with my parents over the weekend at a barbeque about moving back in with them. they were cool about it and just said as long as we have a plan and not have to stay for good. i said no i do not need to borrow money, just need the roof and i will pay half of everything that is needed. the reason i want to do this is one i would save 3,000 a month, two i could finally go to a community college that offers an associate degree in PLC'S.

See my parents live in the district so i get the discounted rate per credit hour.. If i do not live in the district it will cost 222.00 per credit hour and there is 63 credit hours for this degree. But living in the district that 222.00 goes down to 77.00 a credit hour. I figured it to cost me 5,169.00 dollars for the degree LOL... the kicker part that lame trade school i went to i barely got half way and already spent 6,000 and have nothing to show from it. Since i would 3,000 per month i can put away 1,000 a month plus pay my own way through school and pay my dad back for the 6,000. So this way after 2 years i will have paid off my credit debt and have a nice chunk of money for down payment on a new home since i have almost 10,000 saved up. so i am not too worried about the foreclosure.. i know it sounds risky but it is now or never for me....

My only concern is this, what do you guys think or feel about the PLC industry???

Is it a good field to get into? Is there a good future in it? Are jobs in demand or out there for the field?

I have been looking over PLC websites and tutorials, i know it is for me, i love computers and to me it is just like computers, i just do not want to get into the computer industry tried that, i am just not a IT guy like i thought at one time.

Thanks guys

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I think it is a terrible plan.

If by "foreclosing on the house" you mean to walk away from the mortgage then you should be prepared to have difficulty finding housing for a long time. If you default on a mortgage, then no other mortgage company will write you a new mortgage. Worse, landlords who run a credit check will see that you defaulted on the mortgage and they will refuse to rent to you. If you can't buy, and you can't rent then you have to depend on the kindness of strangers. If both of your parents should pass away unexpectedly you may inherit the house, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

You parents are damn fools for enabling the dependency that you and your wife are seeking. She and they will emasculate you figuratively and literally. Don't do it -- I'd rather live on the street than sulk home with my tail between my legs.

Lastly, the industrial control business in particular, and the manufacturing sector in general are in the toilet. I forsee no real chance of recovery any time soon. As near as I can tell there are no jobs where you just write PLC programs. Those people are a dime a bale in ten bale lots. The ones that actually write the programs do many other things besides PLC programming. If you don't believe me then talk to any recruiter.

Whatever happens, I'm pulling for you and hoping for the best outcome possible.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Our business, selling networked industrial I/O modules, hit the skids in late 2004 and early 2005. I did not say that PLCs did, only that the need for PLC programmers who have no other skills has been pretty dead for a long time.

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
So what you are saying is that you cannot just learn plc's on there own. There really isnt just a position or job for just plc's. Your saying to me that not only do you need to know plc's but you would need other skills. Like electronic tech, or engineering technician degree along with plc's correct?

Would you mind taking a look at this link to the actual listing of the degree i was thinking of going for and let me know what options i would have with this or what your opinion is on that degree? http://www.morainevalley.edu/programs/2008-2009/2008-2009_fall/1281_course.htm

thanks

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
I agree with papabravo, Your only going to make thinks worse by walking away. Your bank might be willing to let you pay interest only until you get back on your feet. As far as school, I don't know what work is in your local area, but look at places like craigslist for LEGITIMATE ads and see what they are looking for.

Service Technician (Brewerton, NY)

Reply to:see below
Date: 2009-05-19, 2:07PM EDT

Service Technician for a manufacturer of equipment that is installed in manufacturing plants across the United States. Position requires someone who will be working in house at the manufacturing site as well as traveling to customer sites as needed to do installations and/or troubleshooting of equipment. Must have previous experience in electrical, mechanical and pneumatic fields. Required to have experience in at least one of the following systems and the ability to learn others: PLC Ladder Logic, Rockwell PLC software, Panel Builder Touch Screen. Will also use various other servo drives and software packages. Approximately 40% travel. All travel and other expenses company paid. Will work in house as needed to do in house startup of new equipment, debugging and testing of new equipment. Will train customer employees at customer sites in operation and maintenance procedures of equipment being installed. 2-year degree in Applied Technology or related degree/experience and knowledge of basic electrical principles and electronics. 5-10+ years of experience preferred. HOURS: Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00 pm. DURATION: Direct Hire.

TO APPLY: Send resume to Deanna Bennett Fax: (315) 449-4965, E-mail: dlb@hrssinc.com, or mail
HR Staffing Solutions, Inc.
I personally know this company,and this is their top job. They also hire techs to help build and start up the systems. Here is one from united radio company. (last two ads)

Electronic Technician (Automotive) - Syracuse, NY Summary: Provide service for OEM Automotive Electronics. Responsibilities: Test, troubleshoot, and repair products to the component level. Complete necessary data entry and documentation. Assist other technicians as necessary. Qualifications: Formal electronics training from a school or the military. Electronic repair experience - Soldering skills, Ability to use test equipment, read schematics. Exceptional mechanical dexterity. Apply Now!

Electronic Technician (Communications) - Syracuse, NY Summary: Provide service for mobile and portable communications equipment. Responsibilities: Test, troubleshoot, and repair products to the component level. Qualifications: Formal electronics training from a school or the military. Electronic repair experience - Soldering skills, Ability to use test equipment, read schematics. Exceptional mechanical dexterity. 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday - Friday. Apply Now!

This is what I'm talking about. Find out what is still going, and anticipate what will be coming. I'm thinking robotics and medical electronic service and repair.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I would say in your present situation, you'd want to get some sort of credentials as soon as possible. I would highly recommend getting a General Radio Operator's License, if you have no other "wallpaper". The new test is very comprehensive (I know, because I wrote some of the questions for the new FCC pool), and you will come away with a fairly good overview of both analog and digital electronics. Though the FCC no longer requires the GROL for many traditional radio services, many companies still require the license; it will get your foot in the door at your local phone company and many smaller radio shops. (I'm not sure what the economic climate is in your area, but up here the GROL is still in big demand). Then, at your leisure, you can work on a degree. I'd get all the R.F. and analog training you can get. These don't sound glamorous, but they have always had a solid, constant demand, unlike specialized "pop" technologies like PLC.

Eric

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So what you are saying is that you cannot just learn plc's on there own. There really isnt just a position or job for just plc's. Your saying to me that not only do you need to know plc's but you would need other skills. Like electronic tech, or engineering technician degree along with plc's correct?

Would you mind taking a look at this link to the actual listing of the degree i was thinking of going for and let me know what options i would have with this or what your opinion is on that degree? http://www.morainevalley.edu/programs/2008-2009/2008-2009_fall/1281_course.htm

thanks
It appears to be a program with more to it than just PLC's. There is some training in pneumatics, communications, and IT. All good things. Weather this will pay off for you is hard to say without knowing something about the kind of industry in your area. One way to gain some of this knowledge is to work in sales. As a manufacturers rep you can get specialized training in the things people are actually buying. If you have any knack for sales, they may even pay your education expenses. Not everybody can do sales, I can't and I know it. A man's gotta know his limitations.

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
wow, you guys have given me some great material to absorb and some direction which is what i was desperately looking for. Right now i am trying so hard but i really have no one on my side to give me support which makes me want to just crack in two. but now i feel i have a foot hold on direction thank you kl7aj for the response and advice with the General Radio Operator's License, R.F. and analog training...

My father had mentioned the R.F. and analog training was good to have... He had gone to Devry but for me the location of the campus and timing is out of the question so i am really left with the community college that i had linked earlier in the post. I imagine i should have him go through all the R.F. and analog training he can give me. I mean the man has a freaking work lab in his basment with everything needed including an oscillascope... When i had should him the info for the trade school i thought was gonna pay off good for me, he had mentioned he could teach each one of the classes they provided. If that is the case i am actually going to his house this saturday me and him are gonna barbeque also taste some homemade beer he made. I will have a talk with him on this cause i wont be starting school any time soon.

I know i never mentioned the area i am from this probably would have helped you guys out with helping me lol. I am in chicago Illinois, actually just outside of chicago, i am in a suburb just south of the city.

So if i was to say, learn R.F. and analog on my own with my fathers help and then get that associates degree in electronic/computer control tech would that be pretty decent to get somewhere ? Even if i learn the R.F. and analog on my own i am also thinking i would probably need a piece of paper right meaning certificate or degree right or would getting a radio operator license be just as good?

a few of you that have responded certainly seem to know your stuff this is why i am asking. please do not think i am trying to have you make my decision for me. I am just trying to get as much insight i can get.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Even if you can only afford one or two classes a year, you are still moving ahead. Your dad might see that your serious and loan you the tuition once you show him your determined. General electronics education will get you the interview, persistence will land you the job. College is one of the things that prove your drive and ability to grasp new ideas, making you more employable.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I think being jusdt outside of Chicago is a fantastic place to be. I know of several places within easy commuting distance. You hang in there, and start building your network.

One more thing. The local newspaper in Ann Arbor is going to cease publication in July. For more than 45 years I have relied on newspaper classified ads for job prospects. Websites like Monster and CareerBuilder are way too inefficient because they are clogged with offers from recruiters who won't call you back and give you the royal runaround. I recommend www.linkedin.com to develop your professional network. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll invite you to join my network.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Only homes over looking lake ,any marine work over there. How about
a clue with out going to your web site on what you have. The only long sleeve t-shirt in my collection,those hills,the whole time I was saying the train that could when running.I told you I have gemini every where if you follow my post.I'm always looking for that next opportunity.Don't leave me hangin,tell me more I can add to your blog my geminis have a
lot to say.Coyne schools are they still there. I never thought I would have anything in common with you Papabravo.
Loosewire
Ann Arbor or bust

Last edited:

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
Loosewire, if you are referring to coyne american institute yes there still here but they are a terrible school in my opinion.

Papbravo, sorry i have not responded over the weekend kinda fell into a lazy state. i checked on here last night but i did not want to babble on. lol
I was very happy for the invite to join your network i will be sending the PM shortly, thanks again for that. I believe that will help me out alot especially once i get to know my stuff a bit.

Well, now i have to put a plan together and stick with it, i am in no hurry but want to get started because this has been on the back burner too long. I will be turning 31 this month and by next year i hope to be knee deep in this stuff.

So far i have been reading two books i had bought from borders. One is called basic electricity and the other is called basic electronics/electricity. I have not finished them up yet but i am almost done with basic electricity. I read the whole dc part once then started to get into AC but felt i needed to go over DC again. These books have more then just ac/dc in them but just to fill you in on what i have done so far. I also have the computer program called electronic workbench which is a great program it is like having your own lab. Heard of it before?

I was wondering once i am done with this book or both books, where do i go next for learning on my own, what do you recommend?

I know you said to get the radio operator license cause it touches on R.F. and analog and digital. My books touch on those two as well but not much, should i then get a book on R.F. or Analog or Digital ? I am not sure if getting the Radio operator license is like going for a certificate at a school like courses or you just go and take a test for it when you feel ready?

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
I think Electronics workbench is also known as Multisim. I needed it for class, and I still use it. Note, there are no real world limits installed for current and amplification, so be prepared for some impossible values like giga-amps :eek::D:D:D. A very good learning tool. Start with ohms law and series resistance. Then explore parallel resistance. That ought to take up a couple of days....

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
thanks mbohuntr, Yes you are right Electronic workbench is also known as Multisim, i had forgotten the second name. I started to mess with it a year ago when i first started attending school and i was like what is this thing and how do i use it.

Well, now i know what it is about just from 6 months of school. I had just tried Windows 7 beta and am about to install multisim tonight to use along with my reading so i can see examples first hand.

Let me ask you this, i have studied Ohm's law, studied series and parallel resistance from my basic eletricity book that i read on my own was that what you meant by start with ohm's law and series resistance then explore parallel or did you mean start those with using multisim ? confused sorry just want to make sure i start off in the right place...

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
I would draw a series DC circuit on multisim, and calculate the current and voltage across each resistor. When you change the resistor values what happens? Use multisim to validate your calculations, no cheating...:rolleyes: You will need this basic information before you are ready to continue with more advanced stuff. 12 volts / total resistance = total current.
Total current x single resistor = voltage across that resistor. V/R = I, IxR=V... V(total)=V(resistor1) + V(resistor2) etc.

Last edited:

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
When you do this a couple of times, you begin to see that you have Three values: Voltage, current, and resistance. When you fix one value, the other two become inversely proportional to each other, like a teeter totter. Fix the voltage, lower the resistance, and up goes the current! This is a key concept to understand.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Last post...;) Put a multisim battery and two 100 ohm resistors in series. You will need a ground (multisim quirk). Measure the voltage in between the two resistors. You have just created a voltage divider! Now you can take that initial source voltage and manipulate it!:cool: You should know now how to limit current, so when you start using transistors etc, you won't fry em! When your ready, We'll discuss WATTS (power) When you use a multisim voltmeter, put the leads on the wires, When you measure current, break open the circuit and put multisim meter in series. Only try this in multisim, The real stuff can kill you!!!

Last edited:

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
Mbohuntr, I just printed out the last three posts you posted, so when i get home i can start playing with the multisim... I do understand the inversely proportional concept, did take me a little of re-reading a few times but once i grasped it i was in total shock and aw.. and believe me that feeling that ran through me once i figured it out all on my own, was like an accomplishment i have not done in a very long time.

I will let you know as soon as i get done with what you have given me to start with cannot wait.. thank you

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
Oh yes that is one thing i love about the multisim is the all the money you save from frying a meter or components not to mention yourself hehehe i made a funny :O)

I also noticed in the multisim there is projects i believe right? Are those for tinkering, are they projects that are setup up wrong for you to troubleshoot just curious