zimbarak

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Anyone have an idea if i can take the source code of my website from
the developers or the hosting company were it is exist :confused:
the type of website is an E-commerce website with database interaction

any thread is greatly appreciated :)

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
You can if you can access the server via FTP, but you will have to know the password and username to get in, you can use FreeFTP or another type of software, or you can just type ftp://www.domainname.com and your browser should take you to it (replace domainname with the name of your .com).... but if you want to copy your files from one site to another and it is an ecommerce type site, they probably have a bunch of cgi scripts and php scripts used for the shopping cart.... and this is really tricky to try and move.....

kbirecki

Joined Oct 22, 2009
Zimbarak, It's relatively straightforward.....if it is documented or you know what the software infrasturcture is. BMorse correctly points out that you first need login access to your site, then you need to copy everything down as suggested. And then you need to know what the required software is for the backend (server-side scripting.) Then you can (theoretically) setup your site on your own or with another provider. but you have to have all the same setup as your current provider or you need to rework your site with whatever new technologies another provider offers.

Before you break your ties with your current provider, if that is what you are thinking of, take the opportunity to get your current site documented. It may be that the provider is using standard backend software (as BMorse suggested: cgi, php, perl, ruby, mysql, etc.), or they may be using something customized to facilitate their ability to service customers. You need to determine this. If you don't know what is in place or how it is setup, and what software infrastructure is relies on, you won't know what you have to do to get it running again somewhere else.

Here are my suggestions:
1. contact the provider and let them know you have to document your site for your business because you may not be the only one that has to maintain it. You need to know what the software infrasturcture is to understand what you options are now and into the future.
2. Tell them also that you need to make backup copies of the site in case something happens. They can't guarantee that they won't have issues.

If you are considering moving to another provider, some providers are more helpful in this than others. So be on your best behavior with them - your reasons with them should be "business continuity".

Hope this helps.

zimbarak

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Thnks dude for this calrification ,However,

Do you think thats the provider will going to respond if i asked to take my website
softwares infrastructure as also would like to mention thats i have an ftp access throw the server provider so if i download all website folders and files inluding script
so i might be able to run it outside or can i be the only one that support it ? what do you think ?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Easy just download your entire website through FTP, then log into phpmyadmin and download your database. Then just upload it all to a new host and make sure your sql ip, log in, and password are correct. The scripts and php shouldn't be a problem if your using a decent ecommerce software. You will just reinstall your ECommerse software and then load your database. Most if not all your setting will be in your database. Your previous host should have no problems at all, if anything they will help you. As for if your site is propriotary I don't know. Whats your url and I'll look at it.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Easy just download your entire website through FTP, then log into phpmyadmin and download your database. Then just upload it all to a new host and make sure your sql ip, log in, and password are correct. The scripts and php shouldn't be a problem if your using a decent ecommerce software. You will just reinstall your ECommerse software and then load your database. Most if not all your setting will be in your database. Your previous host should have no problems at all, if anything they will help you. As for if your site is propriotary I don't know. Whats your url and I'll look at it.

There is more to it than that, for one, you have to know what scripts are allowed on the new server. And also since this is an e commerce site, I wouldn't just go around copying files to new locations on the new server (don't forget about permission settings also, you wouldn't want just anybody copying or altering documents on your site, or browsing through your customer information :eek:), since security is a big issue with e commerce sites, I am sure people wouldn't like you just moving things around and leaving their information unsecured....
My .02

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
First we need to know what software he's using. I don't think it would be that complicated. The installation should take care of the scipts and permissions, or tell him what to give permission to. The database should take care of his customer data and items. The database is going to be protected at all times so that shouldn't be a big deal.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
If you are actively running an ecom site, then you will be backing up your databases regularly. Even if someone else is hosting/managing it, the information in the databases is yours, and you should be recieving a copy of the backups.

If you are planning on running the ecom site yourself, then you may want to consider using one of the several excellent open source scripts, as opposed to commercial software. Most reputible hosters will provide an assortment of scripts including ecom. A fresh install will be easier than chasing transported scripts, with the bulk of the work transposing your databases.

Taking files from a host, is as simple as indicated, by logging on and transferring files.
Taking files from a developer is a hole different story. You've typically paid for customization, which complicates relocation.