Weak Amplifier Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

normalicy

Joined Jun 17, 2004
Hey everyone, this is my first post and I believe an easy fix. I've got a Soundstream Reference 500sx car audio amp (excellent quality) that has one weak channel (low output) and the other is just fine. Origianally, it didn't work at all, but I replaced an extremely blown resistor and now it's powering up again. I have very limited electronics knowledge, but I want to learn. I have replaced many resistors & diodes before, but right now, I have no reference for what could be wrong, because nothing else is visibly blown. I can only think it's a mosfet.

Thanks for any help,
Mickey

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi Normalicy

Without a schematic, it's just guesswork. A fried resistor indicates too much current through it. That's the why of this problem. Possibilities are a shorted capacitor, allowing DC rather than AC current. Bad semiconductors rank up there, too. Most car amps use IC's for everything, so finding the failure may be a matter of tracing the low output to a module and replacing it.

Running into something like this with no schematics can be really frustrating. Unless you can rig a harness to power it up in a position where you can compare, say, meter readings between channels, it gets to be all guesswork.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi,

do you know how to check a mosfet in circuit or out of circuit if indeed you have a mosfet output stage. can you tell us the part #.

spooooky

Joined Jan 19, 2015
Hey everyone, this is my first post and I believe an easy fix. I've got a Soundstream Reference 500sx car audio amp (excellent quality) that has one weak channel (low output) and the other is just fine. Origianally, it didn't work at all, but I replaced an extremely blown resistor and now it's powering up again. I have very limited electronics knowledge, but I want to learn. I have replaced many resistors & diodes before, but right now, I have no reference for what could be wrong, because nothing else is visibly blown. I can only think it's a mosfet.

Thanks for any help,
Mickey
use http://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/ for this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.