We got any Vets in the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
One of my dogs has an eye issue going on. It almost looks like an extra eyelid under his real eyelid. Sometimes you can't see it, sometimes its like he opens his eye, but the inner eyelid doesn't open all the way. This is really stressing me out because he's 14 years old and he needs vaccinations. He's an inside dog so its really not a big deal for him to be unvaccinated at his age and not going outside very much. We kept him fully vaccinated up till age 11. Anyways to take him to a vet there gonna want to Vaccinate him to the tune of $400 + whatevers wrong. It would kill me to do it, pay $600, then have him die in a couple months or a year. He's so old I'm not sure if this is just normal ageing and he's loosing an eye, or an infection, or may be a tumor under his eye. If we have anyone who knows this stuff I'll post some pics. Also its been going on at least 6 months. About 6 months ago I saw something in his eye like a stick or something? and I was told to just leave it alone and it will work itself out. Then it was never really an issue till recently.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Vaccinating your dog is for community safety, your safety and the dog's safety. I think community safety is most important. There are also probably ordinances that you need to comply with. It is generally against this forum's policy to advise people on how to get around the laws.

That said, and if the forum moderators agree, can you post an in-focus picture of your dog's eyes, both of them.

John

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
NM I'll spend the cash... That being said for Parvo yes, but thats not an issue with a 14 year old dog thats been vaccinated. Rabbies and Heartworm are the only vac.s he needs which being an inside dog is useless.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
All it takes is one mosquito for heartworm. I've one dog I was very fond of go that route. As for rabies, it is so nasty it doesn't need much in the way of justification.

What is NM?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I've had dogs my entire life and have never lost one to any of these. Rabbies is not an airborne disease and would require a bite from another animal that was infected. Figuring I live in the middle of the city thats not gonna happen, because he doesn't have the freedom to get into it with another animal. My dog is outside approximately 1 minute every other week. During the summer we don't even take them out. Given our bat population misquito's aren't that bad either. I realize it only takes 1, but thats 1 out of 100. I know he should be vaccinated, I really want to do this, but I gotta make a call here. Do I pay for my dogs vac's or my mothers medication? My dogs already 102 in dog years. Sometimes with limited resources you gotta make hard calls. I deleted my post and posted NM (NeverMind) because you clearly stated what I was asking was against forum rules.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
maxpower097 said:
I've had dogs my entire life and have never lost one to any of these. Rabbies is not an airborne disease and would require a bite from another animal that was infected. Figuring I live in the middle of the city thats not gonna happen, because he doesn't have the freedom to get into it with another animal. My dog is outside approximately 1 minute every other week. During the summer we don't even take them out. Given our bat population misquito's aren't that bad either. I realize it only takes 1, but thats 1 out of 100. I know he should be vaccinated, I really want to do this, but I gotta make a call here. Do I pay for my dogs vac's or my mothers medication? My dogs already 102 in dog years. Sometimes with limited resources you gotta make hard calls. I deleted my post and posted NM (NeverMind) because you clearly stated what I was asking was against forum rules.
That sounds like more gross exaggeration as an excuse for not complying with laws. Laws are not optional. I doubt you have the knowledge or experience to be a veterinary doctor and properly evaluate your dog's condition.

BTW: How can you live in the middle of the city and yet be just 10 feet from the bay? I thought Tampa was built mostly on land.

BTW2: These extensive quotes take up a lot of space, but unfortunately it is the only way to keep things in context, because the original statements seem to get deleted.

John

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Max, you are our gulf coast guy,relax. I would hate to see you leave.
Guys give Max some space you would want the same thing. This is a
great forum we are better than this,stand up for good,please.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
@Thatoneguy,Max needs a message from the dark,can you speak directly to Max before his light go out.
I think he takes some comments a bit too much to heart. I don't even know what the topic is about, something about a sick dog?

Remember, it's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Thanks for standing up,I did not know what is about either.
@ max,please relax,that easy for me to say I don't have
problem now. Come on guys stand up for good.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Max,If you have sick dog there are people that will help,call
vet office tomorrow and have tell you about a group that helps.
Look at all the Information about people helping animals.There
a lot of guys that would help you,but this Forum is set up to keep people
a part for private reasons.It is hard to do anything but comminicate.
I am speaking for some guys because it hard to address difficult things.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Rabies can come from anywhere, a bat (which is no respecter of city boundaries or fences). Given the lethality of the disease to human, dog, cat, or any other animal that is infected it really is criminal to go lax on rabies shots. While I've never heard of it I wouldn't doubt a mouse could be a carrier, so being indoors is not as big a protection as you would think.

Heartworm, well it only kills the dog. I've learned my lesson the hard way.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
WE have moved past the rabies where they come from,we are confronted
with a member that has problem,a sick dog. A young member that don't all the
experience that we have to deal with a problem. He don,t react the same as
we would. So at this point in time we are dealing with an age old story of a
man and his dog. A story that will end sadly like most man and dog stories.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
What kind of question is this?

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I don't want to say this in a harsh manner but if you can't afford a dog you shouldn't have one. Buy medicine for your mother first, if you can't afford the shots then get rid of the dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.