WCS1800 Sensor - Damaged or what

agsuresh

Joined Dec 28, 2023
Hi all,

I had bought this sensor , barebone , without any comparator circuit etc. I also made a small mounting board to fix it firmly.

Unfortunately I reversed the connection to the sensor 12v. It was reading the full voltage at the output at no load. I suspected something was wrong and disconnected. It was late at night. So I checked again today with proper power supply connection. But there is no voltage on the output.

Checked reversing the direction of flow, used thicker wire (6 sqmm). Though the digital meter on the power supply says 1 amp, there is no change on the output pin.

Do you think, I may have damaged the sensor itself , or am I doing it wrong ? My understanding is the output should read half vdd at zeroload (DC).

Kindly reply with your insights.

agsuresh

Joined Dec 28, 2023
I wrote to winsom and they confirmed that it is damaged. Sad .. this would not happen if they had an inbuilt reverse polarity protection - i hope. Any way I received another module.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Yep , good for a chip. But this is not. It is a module all by itself. Reverse voltage protection ???
You'd surprised if You opened it up ..........
There's one tiny-little Chip that does all the magic.
This could hardly be called a "Module".
If it wasn't for the required Ferrite-Core, it would be almost microscopic.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It could also serve as a higher range, linear, accurate, and temperature independent current measuring system like I created about 50 years ago when HALL sensors were not very linear. That scheme used a second conductor to null the magnetic field, and the current was measured in the second conductor. So there could easily be scaling, with multiple turns of that second wire. I did get paid a bit for that invention but did not get any of the honor and glory.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
I also gave-up on expecting the honor and glory stuff way back when.

Being highly competent in any given area doesn't guarantee reasonable pay either,
because your boss was likely promoted to that position from the sales-department.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I also gave-up on expecting the honor and glory stuff way back when.

Being highly competent in any given area doesn't guarantee reasonable pay either,
because your boss was likely promoted to that position from the sales-department.
The very worst part is that LQC is totally correct.
But at a job very late in my career I gained a lot of respect and a few favors from both my manager, and the research scientist I was supporting, when I pointed out to them "something that did not seem right",which was an error they had made in the interpretation of results they got before I was hired. That saved then from wasting a year and a half of research. It made them look good to the board. And those two understood what I had done for them. A rare instance of integrity, indeed.

agsuresh

Joined Dec 28, 2023
I got another module WCS1700 - 70 AMP , better for the project I am working on (Independent). It is working. This time I introduced an 7805 and a diode for reverse voltage protection ( I am a little careless prone to make mistakes ) to get a stable voltage from a 220v-12v smps. ( I need 12v to drive other circuits). Thanks a lot to all particularly LowQCab who pointed out smoke.