Waveshaper Circuit

RanHam335

Joined Dec 4, 2008
Hi, I have a control board that takes in a 0-10V square wave of a biphase-modulated data signal to decode. I want to play the data signal using my ipod, so my ipod will play it in sine waves, so i need to build a "waveshaper" to convert it to square wave for the control board to read it. I found this circuit on the interwebs:
http://w5jgv.com/rife/wavshap2/wavshap2.htm

Now I went and cut off part of the circuit to make it look like this:

My question is will this circuit do what I need it to do? Im not experienced with electronics thats why im asking this question. I have a 9 vdc powersupply what i was going to use for it.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Don't use a lousy old LM324 quad opamp for audio. It has a problem above only 2kHz.
Why use a quad opamp when only a single opamp is needed?

Use an MC34071 opamp instead. It does everything well and has a response to 100kHz.
An MC34072 is a dual opamp and an MC34074 is a quad opamp.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The old TRS80 had similar problems with their cassette data system. A company came out with a product called "The DataDubber" that used a 74C14, a hex schmitt trigger, that did pretty much the same thing. It was a lot simplier.

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
Does the control board require an input of 10 volts? This circuit only puts out 5 volts, which may or may not be ok.

Depending on what the control board needs for response speed and input voltage and current, maybe you could get by with just an LM311 comparator, which can accept audio input and generate a 10 volt rectangular output.