Watter Battery

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello,

I found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-GAvA0YCxE at YouTube when I was searching water battery.

Okay, as you may see the narrator says that you need water, a container, zinc strip, copper strip and a voltmeter for you to measure.

So, will somebody explain to me how a water generates an electric current? Please.:D

The Catapult

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
It works the same way as a normal battery. He's just using water instead of a proper electrolyte. The trace impurities in tap water must be just about enough to get a measurable voltage but, as he says in his comments, there isn't enough current to run a calculator.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Thank you very much. So that means now if I use a pure water, for example distilled water, there will be no voltage measurable and if there is any just a little? Am I right?

Thank you again.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
That's right. Distilled water will most likely not work at all.

The way it works is that the zinc has extra valence electrons in its outer shell (I believe you've worked with valence shells, right?), and the copper has a deficiency of electrons. Because of this, the electrons from the zinc "want" to go to the copper to fill up some "holes". As you probably know, current is the movement of electrons. So when electrons are stripped from the zinc and move through the water to the copper, it creates an electrical current. You can increase the voltage of your battery by adding even more impurities to the water (salt is a popular choice). This helps the electrons flow more easily.
I hope this helps!
Der Strom

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Anytime you see a site with "Free Energy" be prepared to discount what they are saying. There are a lot of people who don't have a clue about the most basic of science. Energy is abundant in our world, but it is never free. It can not be created nor destroyed from nothingness, it can be moved, changed, or converted. Since energy and matter are different aspects of the same thing, you can't do it with matter either.

Other clues to either misinformation or outright fraud is "overunity" (the ability to output more energy than you put in) or perpetual motion.