Watson

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Well everyone, Watson the computer just won on Jeopardy.
Anyone wanna place bets on how long it takes before we see sky-net or The Matrix come to life?

On the subject of the computer, its very interesting. I'm sure it will be one of those things the history channel looks back on as a "great, revolutionary achievement" someday.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I am Sir Watson Loosewire, I can beat Watson and the Forum,I am thinking
of some thing,how many post will It take to answer what I am thinking.
Sorta like the bigger than bread box. How good are you. If I get a couple
replys I will give the answer to Bertus.Surely you guys are better than Watson
aren't you.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Anyone wanna place bets on how long it takes before we see sky-net or The Matrix come to life?

On the subject of the computer, its very interesting. I'm sure it will be one of those things the history channel looks back on as a "great, revolutionary achievement" someday.

Crap I meant to watch this.

The way I understood it, the contest was a bit unfair. Something to do with the way the questions were presented to the computer.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I don't think so, all they did was present the questions and categories to the computer in the form of text. It took it from there.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I don't think so, all they did was present the questions and categories to the computer in the form of text. It took it from there.

It had something to do with how the answers were typed in. I think the data entry person had the answers in front of them instead of listening to Alex and typing them in as he talked. So Watson got a bit of a jump start.

Still really impressive. I like how one of the lead researcher doesn't know why Watson gets the questions right http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr7IxQeXr7g. That is scary. :)

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Yea, I saw the NOVA special on it, it's kinda freaky, the computer learns and teaches itself how to answer and everything, it basically writes its own algorithms.
They basically started blank and fed it question after question and it learned from there. With the exponential growth of processing power its not a stretch to say that there will be autonomous androids within our lifetimes...
mine anyway ;)
And i think that when the question is selected it sends him the text-stream as soon as the question came up, to make it fair. In any case it still lost the race to push the button some of the time.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

It's impressive as a database application but a stretch to call a trivia "text based lookup system" AI.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-02-17-watson17_ST_N.htm?csp=34news

Building off decades of artificial-intelligence research, Watson pursues one well-trod path — broadly analyzing vast libraries of text for answers — rather than relying on deep structural knowledge of a very narrow area, such as lunar geology, seen in so-called "expert" systems, says Ellen Voorhees of the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Gaithersburg, Md. "It is a significant advance," she says, but it doesn't have both the broad search and deep knowledge of an ideal system.
I was thinking about the Sky-Net/Battlestar Galactica vs Matrix/Forbin Project type AI systems. The "Terminator/Cylon" systems cybernetic revolt seems silly from a resource conflict point of view. It's a good plot for a movie/TV series but seems to make sense only if they feel human fear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence_in_fiction