Water-resistant power connectors

sbixby

Joined May 8, 2010
Hi, all... been away awhile, but you're my favorite resource. :)

I have a need for a low-profile in-line DC connector for a low power project. I will draw at most 500mA at 12v. The power source side is outdoors and the connector must be free-hanging, and I need to be able to cap it from the weather; most of the time it'll be disconnected & capped.

When connected, it should still be weather resistant. When disconnected, the jack will be tucked away unobtrusively, so a low profile is important.

I was thinking a simple 2.1 or 2.5mm coaxial plug/jack arrangement would be fine, as long as it's weather-safe and I can plug the jack with a stock cover.

Digikey/Mouser/et'al just have too many choices and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Anybody here have some suggestions on specific brands or model numbers for such a connector set?

sbixby

Joined May 8, 2010
Thanks for that link; the Weatherpack stuff does look great, but I'm hoping for a less bulky/obtrusive connector, hence the coaxial stuff.

It doesn't have to be stone-cold waterproof, just "decently water safe". It will never be underwater so much as exposed to rain on occasion.

Anyhow, I'll see what else comes up first.

sbixby

Joined May 8, 2010
I wouldn't have looked here first, but a random search came up with these:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/743

It doesn't have a cap for the jack side, and I haven't found any component-house reference for it. I'll poke around a hardware store and see if I can find a suitable cap that will work. If nothing, since I ordered four sets, I'll take the locking ring off one and modify it to work as a cap.