Water level Monitor

Phil Taylor

Joined Feb 13, 2013
Hi I live beside a river in a very low lying house. I have been flooded twice. I would like to build a devive that monitors the water level out side my house when we are in a flood threat time. I need this device to sense a rise or fall over time of say 2m in depth and have an accuracy of 1mm scale. The average rise and or fall in flood times is approx. 1-2cm per hour. The idea would be to see if the water is tending to rise or fall over time and to set alarm points. It would be good to log the data but not esential. Has anyone got any ideas please? Phil

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Learn microprocessors. It's going to require a lot of programming to detect 2 meters, within 1/10th of 1%, and log the data for days or weeks.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Is this going to be located outdoors, where it will have the tendency to freeze, or have ice form on it?
A simple float switch such as used on sump pumps would work ,but, wouldn't have your required accuracy.

You can probably make a fairly accurate reflective level sensor using off the E-bay shelf photoelectric devices; A-B or other industrial types...mount it up high enough where it won't get flooded; 20ft. may not be high enough. I live 100 ft. above the water and have never been flooded.

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You can probably make a fairly accurate reflective level sensor using off the E-bay shelf photoelectric devices; A-B or other industrial types...mount it up high enough where it won't get flooded; 20ft. may not be high enough. I live 100 ft. above the water and have never been flooded.
How would a photoelectric device detect water level to the accuracy he desires? :confused: