1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) starting at 9:00 EDT for a number of hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

Water flow sensing

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ivonpradeep, May 6, 2010.

  1. ivonpradeep

    Thread Starter New Member

    May 6, 2010
    dear friends,
    can someone suggest me a device/circuit to check if the water is flowing or has stopped flowing in my domestic 1/2in pipe so that i can switch my pump(1 hp) on or off as the water supply is erratic in my area and i do not wish to burn my pump out.
  2. retched

    AAC Fanatic!

    Dec 5, 2009
    You would have been better off starting you own thread rather than hijacking someone elses.

    a flow switch.
  3. beenthere

    Retired Moderator

    Apr 20, 2004
    This is the original thread - http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=35403&page=2

    It had to do with a sump pump.

    You might have to sense the supply with a pressure sensor.

    Its actually an interesting problem to decide how to decide to turn on the booster pump. There is no flow with all faucets shut, so turning on the booster on a no flow condition is not good. Without signaling that a faucet is open, flow is hard to use.

    You might need a pressure tank like the kind used with wells. It contains an internal diaphragm to trap an air bubble. The bubble forces water as faucets are opened until an external switch senses lowered pressure, and starts the well pump. This might be exactly what you need. If the normal supply is functioning, then the low pressure switch will never call for the booster.
    Last edited: May 6, 2010