water arc explosion

onigino

Joined Mar 29, 2012
My thread was closed prematurely based on assumptions. Please let me clarify...

In no way shape or form am i trying to produce HHO gas, couldn't be further from the truth. I do not believe in overunity, or having water recycle itself in a closed system (research "entropy in a closed system")

i wanted to use thermal plasma energy to cause an electrical arc explosion, kind of like shorting a capacitor bank into a water melon...boom.

at no point is stanely myers mentioned. (edited cant post link) here is an exercpt

During the Second World War, Frungel (1948) measured the unusualstrength of water arc explosions. He concluded that the explosions were notcaused by heat and steam, and admitted freely that he was unable to explainthe phenomenon.Soon after Frungel’s publications, water arc explosions found applications inelectrohydraulic metal forming (Gilchrist & Crossland 1967) and underwaterpulse echo sounding (Frungel 1965). Not until the mid-1980s was the scientificbasis of the puzzling explosions more extensively researched at MIT (Azevedoet al. 1986). It was then shown that the discharge of 3.6 kJ of stored capacitorenergy would create pressures in excess of 20000 atm, in 7 ml of saltwater:3.6 gm of water was ejected from the accelerator barrel with a velocity of theorder of 1000 m/s and then punched a 1/2 diameter hole through a 1/4 inch think aluminium plate.

Last edited:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
My thread was closed prematurely based on assumptions. Please let me clarify...

In no way shape or form am i trying to produce HHO gas, couldn't be further from the truth. I do not believe in overunity, or having water recycle itself in a closed system (research "entropy in a closed system")

i wanted to use thermal plasma energy to cause an electrical arc explosion, kind of like shorting a capacitor bank into a water melon...boom.

at no point is stanely myers mentioned. (edited cant post link) here is an exercpt

During the Second World War, Frungel (1948) measured the unusualstrength of water arc explosions. He concluded that the explosions were notcaused by heat and steam, and admitted freely that he was unable to explainthe phenomenon.Soon after Frungel’s publications, water arc explosions found applications inelectrohydraulic metal forming (Gilchrist & Crossland 1967) and underwaterpulse echo sounding (Frungel 1965). Not until the mid-1980s was the scientificbasis of the puzzling explosions more extensively researched at MIT (Azevedoet al. 1986). It was then shown that the discharge of 3.6 kJ of stored capacitorenergy would create pressures in excess of 20000 atm, in 7 ml of saltwater:3.6 gm of water was ejected from the accelerator barrel with a velocity of theorder of 1000 m/s and then punched a 1/2 diameter hole through a 1/4 inch think aluminium plate.
Sounds pretty freaky.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
But you must understand that this does not sound safe, nor is it appropriate subject matter for this forum?

Over-unity or not, expect this to be shut down.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Do you have a link to the experiment at MIT? It sounds interesting.

Though the energy required would be dangerous, and expensive to construct.

onigino

Joined Mar 29, 2012
But you must understand that this does not sound safe, nor is it appropriate subject matter for this forum?

Over-unity or not, expect this to be shut down.

"SAFE" is a rather nebulous term, anything under the right conditions can be dangerous. Does anyone ever say to you, driving in your car is not safe, expect your engine to be shutdown, no, of course not. Exercise some common sense.

onigino

Joined Mar 29, 2012
Do you have a link to the experiment at MIT? It sounds interesting.

Though the energy required would be dangerous, and expensive to construct.
Let me try and dig that link up for you later on today, its 4am here in new jersey and about to go to bed, im all night researching into the early hours of the morning then go test *repeat cycle*

I have completely disassembled and weed-eater, weed-whacker, line trimmer, what ever you want to call it. and mounted it to my test bench, ill post pictures of my setup to share with all, thats if my thread doesnt get shut down again.

it will include a timer circuit, a relay, 45k volt auto ignition coil, a 12v car battery and 120v inverter etc etc... i have the timer circuit completely isolated from the rest of the system via the relay to protect it from back emf from the ignition coil.... i was using distilled water this time, i will try a high concentration of salt water at the dead short to see what/if anything happens.

i was going to purchase a high voltage power supply to charge a microwave oven capacitor.

1uf x 2000/ 125ma =16milliseconds charge time if i calculated correctly engine rpms and revolutions per second per second. then 16msec is all i need to recharge my 1uf 2000 volt capacitor in time for the next revolution of the piston........

3600 rpm will create a 60hz sine wave, 3000rpms for 50hz, i still need more amps, this is where it stops......

onigino

Joined Mar 29, 2012
Sounds pretty freaky.

yes it certainly sounds pretty freaky, i dont think i want that much power, i dont not wish to blow holes in my engine lol.

I was thinking about getting fancy with this and hooking up a micro controller to this project, i have an arduino and access to a protoshield for high voltage relays.....hmmmmmm hmmmmmmm

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
"SAFE" is a rather nebulous term, anything under the right conditions can be dangerous. Does anyone ever say to you, driving in your car is not safe, expect your engine to be shutdown, no, of course not. Exercise some common sense.
Yes - Safe = Boring.

I am pleased to see this delicious mayhem has made it this far.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
This basic principle is in use in industry/machining every day. It is the basic principle of wire EDM. Using pulsed DC with a moving wire to cut any material that can conduct electricity.

I thought, from your first thread that you were trying to create steam for a steam engine. A way to create instant steam to run an engine would make a modern "Stanley steamer" a viable contender to challenge electric vehicles.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I made some very nasty bombs when I was only 12 years old. They flew very high.
My rockets all blew up.
Sure it was dangerous but I never got hurt.

A young friend of mine died from nitro-benzine on his hands (no gloves). He made powerful fuel for our model airplanes.

onigino

Joined Mar 29, 2012
This basic principle is in use in industry/machining every day. It is the basic principle of wire EDM. Using pulsed DC with a moving wire to cut any material that can conduct electricity.

I thought, from your first thread that you were trying to create steam for a steam engine. A way to create instant steam to run an engine would make a modern "Stanley steamer" a viable contender to challenge electric vehicles.

i never knew about wire edm, though i researched it, its one of the neatest things ive ever seen, and may very well be of use to me for designing some parts, this is great....i hope there not expensive..

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Yes a wire EDM is very expensive. :) but all you need is the power supply/spark generator. Which can be home built. The wire machine is a CNC machine and the CNC base is the big expense.

What do you plan to use as a electrode? This, EDM, is basically a destructive device so electrodes and the work piece are constantly eroding. Does not make a difference if they are hardened or not.