Water activated minipump system

alby46

Joined Jun 29, 2008
I would like to create a water activated minipump system for a basement leak of <1 ltr. over a 36" span following a hard rain storm. It must be rather compact since there is a tiered seating platform in front of that area.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Greetings! And welcome to AAC!

The Projects Collection (as opposed to The Projects Forum) is for sharing completed projects. I've moved your post into The Projects Forum, where it will draw more responses.

--------

If the water is at all dirty, it will conduct electricity. You can place a couple of electrodes where the leak occurs. The water will complete a circuit, and you can detect this with a comparator of some kind. Output from the comparator can be used to control the pump.

What is your level of experience with electronics?

alby46

Joined Jun 29, 2008
The water seeping in is very clean. I retired after 32 years as a telephone service tech and an Extra Class ham op for 47 years. I've built prototype system modules in the late 60's for the infamous SST.

Last edited:

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
If the water is too clean to pass enough current through to trigger a comparator, then some other method will be needed.

Perhaps an LED and photo-detector could detect the refraction or reflection of light caused by the shallow pool. A float switch of some type might work, but would need some hysteresis built in to avoid starting the pump during vibrations of the floor.

m4yh3m

Joined Apr 28, 2004
would something similar to a fuel gauge sending unit work in a situation like this? use a smaller float, of course.