Watch Window in MPLab IDE

Guinness1759

Joined Dec 10, 2010
Is there a way to watch variables in the Watch Window update while running the code in debug mode? Right now when I click pause all of the variables in the Watch Window update, but I can't get them to update in real time or at least every .1 seconds or so without hitting pause.

Guinness1759

Joined Dec 10, 2010
Ok thanks, but I have one more question. Since you can use the Debugger to program the PIC, is there any reason to ever use the Programmer to program the PIC? I'm trying to figure out what is the purpose of the programmer.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I think you just answered your own question. You use the programmer to program the PIC. How else are you going to get the code to the PIC from the PC?

Once you get things running, you should compile and program with Release. You should not be using debug to run the PIC in the real world. For one, it will not start at power up if the programmer is not connected and you don't execute a Run command (as far as O know).

Peca

Joined Jun 7, 2008
Try to put some break points in places of interest than step-in step-by-step (use F7) and in watch window take the registers or ports or variables and than you will be able to look at them while they are changing their values.
When you right click on variable or register etc. in the pop-up menu at the bottom find Properties. In the next window you can change the representation for that data: in hex, in binary, in decimal etc.