Wanting to know maximum surface temperature of commercial products for UL requirements.

Dynaman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Greetings AAC'ers. I am developing a product in the Pro-Sound industry, and I have an old standard UL813 "Commercial Audio Equipment" document dated in 1985. I'd like to purchase the latest standard, but I hate to spend several thousand dollars on a document just to get one question answered.

I doubt the specification has changed much or at all, but the document says max surface temperature of a painted (non-metallic) metal enclosure must not have a temperature that exceeds 90C (194F) which still seems awfully high. I did find an EDN article for test and measurement equipment that states the surface must not surpass 80C (176F). Might anyone know if there is a general figure regarding surface temperature for public safety or have any experience in this? I need to make sure my cooling fan can pull down the temp, and my thermostat will kick in properly if the fan fails.

Also, might anyone know if UL standards might be able to be checked out from a library somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated.

Aram:)