Want to make a 2.4 Ghz USB device

alan-31

Joined Mar 29, 2010
I want to make a USB thing that connects to the computer and sends out digital data over a 2.4 Ghz channel. So that would be something like a router. Those signals would be read by another module somewhere else which would not be a computer, but would have a 2.4 thing too and a power supply.

I understand first I have to learn how to make an embedded system that controls a USB interface to the computer. Once I have a certain byte out of the computer to that little Microprocessor sitting outside, its ready to send that data to the 2.4Ghz section of the same board so the byte can be sent out into the air and received wirelessly by the other 2.4 Ghz embedded module. Bi-directional.

I can probably learn how to do the USB embedded thing but I could not find anything on the internet on how to build a 2.4ghz system. I saw some 900Mhz stuff but I dont want to use that. Also I dont want to use stuff thats already been built and is being sold by companies. I've seen some of them. I want to put it together myself on a circuit board.

I'm doing this for experience to get ready for an embedded career. I have a pretty extensive education in electronics, microprocessors and such. I've just been out of touch with the EE field for a few years but I can still do it.

Any pointers on how or where I can start?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Google 'Zigbee'.

That will do what you want easily. There is a ton of info on the units, they are fairly cheap and available. Used in robotics and many other hobby and professional tasks.

and all in 2.4G :)

They are easily communicated to via microcontrollers. SO if you start with a USB equipt uC, you can communicate the info to the zigbee, then to the airwaves, recieved by the 2nd zigbee and reporting back.

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
One of the most basic principles of design is 'don't re-invent the wheel'.

2.4GHz USB interfaces are available for WiFi, Bluetooth, Zigbee etc., and many of these are single chip devices costing trivial amounts.

There is no point trying to re-create a commodity component.

If you want to build RF gear for self-education, then that is a completely different thing!
This link is to a Ham radio design for a megabit data link, working near 2.4GHz.
(The schematic and board layouts start at page 16 and are about 15 pages long).

http://lea.hamradio.si/~s53mv/archive/p025.pdf

alan-31

Joined Mar 29, 2010
Yes I had heard about Zigbee and that falls under the "already built" stuff that I dont want to take on right now.

Thanks Robert, that helps. Yes I'm primarily doing it for self-education.

alan-31

Joined Mar 29, 2010
hi Rjenkins
That PDF was written in english that was somewhat hard to understand. The fact that the subject matter itself is hard to understand by itself is made worse by the non-native english. Other than the english issue, it would have been great I think.

Any other alternates for a 2.4ghz radio thingie? I dont want to buy a book of 250 pages. Help!

alan-31

Joined Mar 29, 2010
Thank you! I'll take a look at that one. I found out the first link for the 2.4ghZ had so many circuits and it was very complex. I guess I dont really need a high speed link.

So I decided I'll tone it down a notch to just make it work. What I want is a simple transmitter receiver operating at any frequency and strength thats good enough to pass through a wall or two, at say, 20 feet. And it would only deal in little bytes, say 1 KB/sec would be enough for small data transmissions.

Any simple circuits for a transciever that will allow me to do that? I will have two transceivers then for two way traffic.

Thank you to all of you for your help!

EDIT: finding some on the net so I dont need help for now.

Last edited: