Want to make a 12VDC charger

sh3r

Joined Jan 8, 2014
Hello all!!:)

Its my first post on this fourm so if i do something wrong sorry in advance.

i have a 220VAC--->24VDC transformer. is it possible that i can make a 12VDC charger with it? Also i want to measure with multimeter about the Amps of this transformer. i search from google many time but never find any method or tut that i can understand

any advice idea will be welcome thanks in advance.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
- What kind of 12 volt battery do you want to charge?
- Do you know how many amps the transformer is rated for?
- What is your skill level as far as building electronics?
- Do you have a good source for parts?

Mark

sh3r

Joined Jan 8, 2014
thanks for your reply .
about battery its 12Vdc
about Amps i already ask how to measure with multimeter.
about skill level i read too many tuts on google but no practical.
Yup i have a market near to me .

and yes i was soldring from last many years

thanks for your reply .
about battery its 12Vdc

You are going to need to current limit the charging. You want 20mA trickle charger?
Or you prefer fast charger?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
thanks for your reply .
about battery its 12Vdc

The question asked by the other contributor was more likely as to what battery chemistry? For instance if you charge lithium cells without the correct end of charge cut-off; it will vent with flaming gas and burn your house down. Nickel batteries are a bit less dangerous - but they can still burst if you overcharge them enough to gas. Overcharging can warp the plates and cause shorted cells in a wet lead-acid, and its generally best not to gas off all the electrolyte from a sealed lead acid.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Does your transformer have any markings on it to indicate its input or output rating?
What is the mAh rating of the battery?

Current flow positive to negative but electrons go the other way from negative to positive, yet textbooks define current as (n) quantity of electrons. Confused?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Its my first post on this fourm so if i do something wrong sorry in advance.
Welcome, and so far you've done nothing "wrong" except not supply enough detail. We're patient.

i have a 220VAC--->24VDC transformer. is it possible that i can make a 12VDC charger with it?
Yes, you can absolutely make one. But the details requested by others will determine whether it is practical, and whether the project might be too much for a beginner. (No offense, but I have to assume you are a beginner.) Lead acid batteries are relatively easy, lithium batteries are difficult.
Also i want to measure with multimeter about the Amps of this transformer. i search from google many time but never find any method or tut that i can understand
It's difficult and the MUCH preferred approach would be to find the labelled specifications from the manufacturer. If that is impossible, start by measuring the DC resistance of both sides of the transformer using your multimeter. That will give a rough idea to folks here what you have. A photo would help as well, but be sure to include a guide to the SIZE of the transformer and any information about where it came from.

The question is, how much current can I draw from the transformer secondary without the transformer overheating and destroying itself? Is that level of current useful for charging my battery?