want help with 7805 voltage regulator

Amanpreet Singh

Joined Jan 2, 2013
Actually i am making a line following robot. I have made connections of atmega16 with the corresponding pins on l293d and 7805. When i connect it to the 9 v dc battery, the input itself reduces to around 4 volts.. And the output too, drops to arnd 2.7 v.. Each component i am using has been tested before by making a circuit on breadboard. Here is the circuit if you want.

Please help me as soon as possible. I ve tried very hard to figure out the error but I am unable to do so.. I will be highly thankful to you..

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

How much current do the motors take?
If you are using a small 9 Volts battery, its internal resistance will reduce the voltage at the output.
The battery will be exhausted very soon.

Bertus

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
The minimum input for an LM7805 is 7 V; your battery is not providing that much voltage because is it partially depleted and/or overloaded.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You will spend a lot of money on those 9v batteries and have to change them very often. They work OK for SMALL load currents, but are a poor choice for more current-hungry applications. If your project includes a relay, a motor, solenoid, etc. you should avoid them.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Lithium batteries are good for robots, or high quality NiMH.

I recommend Energizer, and Duracell. Both of these outperform no-name cells, and they work for a long time with electronic chargers.

No-name cells often become defective very quickly, and after a while, are only good for lower currents.

I have at least 100 AA and AAA cells here so this statement is based on experiencee.

You can however still recharge bad cells using a low-tech charger. They will get some charge, good enough for low currents.