Want DC Output In Wind Turbine By Using Dc Motor

abeerqureshi007

Joined Apr 23, 2010
I want to use a dc generator to get the dc output by removing ac alternator is this possible or not if yes then give me some suggession how i implement it on a wind turbine

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
The problem with DC generators is that the output voltage is directly proportional to speed, so either you don't have enough voltage to charge the batteries (or whatever you do with it), or the voltage goes too high and have to dump power rather than use it.

An alternator will give useful power over a much higher speed range as they are internally regulated - the exitation power is automatically adjusted to hold the output voltage constant.

A DC generator or dynamo with a wound field (rather than permanent magnet) can be adjusted like this to some extent, but alternators are more effective over a wider speed range, which is why the replaced dynamos on cars decades ago.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Yes, it can be done.. No, it shouldn't be.
If you are worried about the voltage drops with rectifying the AC to DC, don't be.

In the same situations, a DC generator will produce less overall than an AC alternator with the diode rectification to DC.