Wall Warts

wdkh68

Joined Jan 12, 2010
Is there any advantage of using a AC-DC switching vs transformer (linear)wall wart? Of course, the switching one is much smaller and lighter weight per rating, but costs more. I will use these for powering various LED projects along with 78xx regulators and filter caps. Thanks!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Your LED's wont mind any residual noise that a switcher might leave in its output, so the main criterion might be finding the wart that has some capacity that is a bit greater than your projected load.

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
The switcher types usually have a regulated output. The simple transformer only types usually have a large variation in output voltage depending on load. So if you use a switcher type, you might not need a 78xx regulator if you can find a wart that already puts out the voltage you need.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The switchers, in addition to being regulated, also tend to put out more current than regular unit per weight by a large margin. With applications where noise is not an issue this is a real bonus, and even with sensitive applications it isn't that hard to filter the DC.

Overall I think very highly of them.

wdkh68

Joined Jan 12, 2010
Thanks guys! I have a 100-240v. 50-60hz 12vdc 1.0 amp switcher wall wart that I am using on a LED sequencing circuit, but it does not work properly unless I put a .33uf or a .01uf cap across the 12v wart output. Why is this?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Something that wasn't mentioned as a disadvantage, many wall warts assume a certain loading. You must have the minimum load or they don't work as predicted.

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
Something that wasn't mentioned as a disadvantage, many wall warts assume a certain loading. You must have the minimum load or they don't work as predicted.
I said "The simple transformer only types usually have a large variation in output voltage depending on load.". I didn't explicitly say that it is a disadvantage; I left that up to the reader to figure out.

On the other hand, I haven't seen any switcher types that malfunctioned without a load. I wonder if there's something wrong with the one the OP is using?

Last edited: