Wall Wart with Same Voltage but different Amps

fullNelson

Joined Nov 14, 2011
I am missing a wall wart for one of my two routers. The same exact router I do have a wall wart for says that it's output is 12v and .5A. Since I dont have another one of these, but I do have a 12v 1.5A wall wart can I use it on my router or will that kill it?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

If the old one is 0.5 Amp and the new one is 1.5 Amp with the same voltage, there should be no problems.
Take care that the polarity of the plugs are the same.
The attached device will only consume what it needs.

Bertus

fullNelson

Joined Nov 14, 2011
Hello,

If the old one is 0.5 Amp and the new one is 1.5 Amp with the same voltage, there should be no problems.
Take care that the polarity of the plugs are the same.
The attached device will only consume what it needs.

Bertus

How would I check the polarity? Multimeter?

Last edited:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
How would I check the polarity? Multimeter?
Yes. Normally, the + is on the center pin or hole, and the - is on the outer surface...but not always. Since you can't find the old one, you have no way to know what its polarity was. Or maybe it's marked on the tool near the power jack.

fullNelson

Joined Nov 14, 2011
Yes. Normally, the + is on the center pin or hole, and the - is on the outer surface...but not always. Since you can't find the old one, you have no way to know what its polarity was. Or maybe it's marked on the tool near the power jack.
Both of these devices are Linksys Routers, one has the original WW and the other doesn't. So I do have the original one. And you are referring to testing the center pin on the barrel jack, not the socket yes?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Some walwarts are AC. My old Linksys is AC.

My netgear is DC. But the router itself is not marked.

If the router is not marked with the polarity you could see if you can find the owners manual on line and perhaps it will list it.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am missing a wall wart for one of my two routers. The same exact router I do have a wall wart for says that it's output is 12v and .5A. Since I dont have another one of these, but I do have a 12v 1.5A wall wart can I use it on my router or will that kill it?

Wait you have at least on walwart? Why not just test that one if nothing is marked?

But at the very least the walwart should be marked with polarity.