Vout of MAX2606

dumindu89

Joined Oct 28, 2010
According to the datasheet of MAX2606, Absolute maximum rating for OUT+, OUT- to GND -0.3V to (Vcc+0.6V).

And

Vout (p-p) (differential) = 2x1mA[(1kΩxRload)/(1kΩ+Rload)

I implemented the following circuit (both C2 and C3 are 2.2nF and other values are same as in the diagram) and get the single ended output and measured using the oscilloscope.

Unfortunately the output peak to peak voltage is just 300mV. (Vcc = 4.5V) :(

Why I can't get at output peak to peak voltage least up to 2.5V?

Please help me, I want to input the output of this to a 74F14 schmmit trigger IC.
Any suggestions please?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I made the mistake in the search.
In the datasheet is given an output power of -10 dBm.
This will translate into a pp voltage of 0.1 volts into 50 Ohms.

Bertus

dumindu89

Joined Oct 28, 2010
I need at least up to 2.5 Volts(p-p).
How can I get this output? What is the easiest way?
I already tried to add an transistor amplifier (2N2222, fT -> 250MHz) to get an amplified voltage around 2.5V @ 100 MHz. (Vcc for the amplifier was 5V)But it didn't work. I think I need a transistor with higher fT and I already ordered a transistor; BFR520 which is fT = 9GHz. It will take probably a week for the delivery.
But i need a quicker solution.
If I get the differential output can I achieve a higher voltage? or any other solutions?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Last edited:

dumindu89

Joined Oct 28, 2010
Nope, i didn't try.
But Most probably these RF transformers may not available here in local market. :(
Anyway, what is called as "CT"?

Can I achieve the desired output voltage if I used higher Vcc (let's say 9V instead of 5V) only for the 2N2222 transistor amplifier circuit (and applying 5V as Vcc for the VCO ) and if do the calculations to choose the resistor values ?
Is there a probability damage the VCO which has a absolute maximum rating of 5.5V?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

CT means center tap, the transformer has a number of turns with a tap in the middle.

You can NOT run the VCO on a higher voltage as 5.5 Volts.

Bertus

PS did you see the amplifier schematics in my last post?

dumindu89

Joined Oct 28, 2010
Well. None of them are available in NI multisim or Proteus ISIS simulators to simulate them. :( Hope the schematics are useful for the transistors that I already ordered too.

I already ordered BFR93A and BFR520. Can you confirm that they are suitable for my purpose? :)

dumindu89

Joined Oct 28, 2010
Hello,

I made the mistake in the search.
In the datasheet is given an output power of -10 dBm.
This will translate into a pp voltage of 0.1 volts into 50 Ohms.

Bertus
How did you get 0.1V pp voltage for 50 ohms. It is 0.07 V. Isn't it?

dumindu89

Joined Oct 28, 2010
Hello,

Did you also think of the RF transformer?
http://www.coilcraft.com/wideband.cfm

You can take one with CT as input and a higher number of turns for output.

Also take a look at the following amplifiers:
http://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Homebrew_RF_Circuit_Design_Ideas/Wide_Band_Amplifiers.gif

This comes from this page of "circuit ideas":
http://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Homebrew_RF_Circuit_Design_Ideas/Homebrew_RF_Circuit_Design_Ideas.htm

Bertus
OK. I have few W13-1TL wide band CT transformers which has an impedance ratio of 1:13.
Is it possible to input 100mV(p-p) and get a output around 3.3V (p-p) using these transformers?
This amplified output is going to a FPGA which accept LVTTL inputs. Since the FPGA has schimitt trigger inputs, I just want to amplify and use a clamping circuit to send it to the FPGA.

Last edited: