VOM battery problem

legac

Joined May 4, 2005
Hi all
I use a vintage US Army VOM. Its Ohm range is supplied by 1.35 volt. I have tried 1,5 volt cell but its needle always exceeds meter scale. How can I deliver 1.35 volt from 1.5 volt? Your ideas are highly appreciate. Thank you in advance
Legac

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Was the original battery a mercury cell?

Pentax, Cannon, and Wein all make 1.35V zinc-air batteries for older cameras which took the mercury cells. The zinc-air batteries are expensive, though.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Hi all
I use a vintage US Army VOM. Its Ohm range is supplied by 1.35 volt. I have tried 1,5 volt cell but its needle always exceeds meter scale. How can I deliver 1.35 volt from 1.5 volt? Your ideas are highly appreciate. Thank you in advance
Legac
Measure how much current the meter draws when you apply its full range voltage. Then place a resistor in series with the meter with a value that will be

0.15/Im

where Im measured current drawn by the voltmeter when it has a applied a full scale voltage.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
You need a 0.2 volt zener diode drop in series with your 1.5 volt cell.

As these don't exist, try the forward voltage drop of a germanium diode or perhaps a germanium transistor with its collector and base leads strapped together.

legac

Joined May 4, 2005
Thank all of you. I will try the options and get back to you once I have resolved the problem. Perhaps I will try Ge transistor first. I am thinking about another option, that is to use two small 1.5 volt cells in series to have 3 volts. It would be easier to make it down to 1.35 volt.
@ mik3: Resistor in series is not workable because each range draws a different current.
Rgds
Legac

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Thank all of you. I will try the options and get back to you once I have resolved the problem. Perhaps I will try Ge transistor first. I am thinking about another option, that is to use two small 1.5 volt cells in series to have 3 volts. It would be easier to make it down to 1.35 volt.
@ mik3: Resistor in series is not workable because each range draws a different current.
Rgds
Legac
Use one resistor for each scale or the best solution is to replace the old voltmeter with a cheap and nice digital multimeter.

legac

Joined May 4, 2005
Use one resistor for each scale or the best solution is to replace the old voltmeter with a cheap and nice digital multimeter.
Hi
An old 2SB Japanese audio transistor fitted the low range. The Hi range was overloaded a little bit. Finally I replaced the resistor in series with the pot to extend the adjusment scale. It is OK now.
@ mik3: I do have a DVOM. However I still use the military VOM for tube amplifier because of the high risk potential. The DVOM is for final check only.
Thank you.

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
Most solid state D'arsonval meters are current sensing, your meter probably has the D'arsonval movement. All that I have seen has some type of adjustment outside and inside for controlling the full scale deflection.