volunteering ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I am also curious I am at a position in my life that I think I still want to working in Math,IT,Tech jobs though I am worried about the ramifications of staying in these fields and finding out that I need a carrier change because I am unhappy with my job... i.e because my lack of interest.

So I was think of in the event of having to change to a totally different job what that would entail in terms of time / costs in going thru the training.
Normally as I grow older I believe/feel that I would be less likely to want to go back to school / take the time/pay the class expenses...etc to change jobs.

Though I know I am qualified (knowledge wise) in almost anything I gain interest into just need to actually gain the confidence / experience in doing it. So it is for me kind of wasting time/money to go back and take course/learn the stuff I have already read on the subject that I was interested in... While going directly to work/gain hands on experience would speed up the process and not waste time/money.

I do find it extremely hard to get into a field you have little qualifications for but know you know the information as well if not better then some of the people that have been doing it for some years. The problem is that they have the confidences/experience in actually doing. Then the HR guys believe somebody that don't have any qualifications can't possibly know the information as well as the guys that are more experienced then them.

So I am trying to find a way to easy the transition of changing jobs and still get the offers ... so for instance if I wanted to do plumbing for a few years , then computer forensics , then network , then making clothing ...etc etc I could easily / reasonable find work when transitioning to / from a totally different field.
I.E I already pretty much know all the information to pretty much do mostly anybody's job. For me what I can't stand it is in the hr guys or job worlds view of you in what you are allowed to do. For instance I am a tech/math guy I could probably do most of the tech/math jobs and HR would only hire me for those types...but the truth is I don't want to be restricted in to just those jobs knowing what I know.

I am think how I can get around one option is just volunteering. Don't know yet how many fields allow you to randomly volunteer just to gain experience
Like normally trades workers like electricians,plumber/carpenters,clothing makers , insurance agency , chefs....etc have to go to some trade or school / pass a test before being selected to being apprentice. I get all that and it should be in place to know what level of work/grade of work you are going to be getting with a particular person. Though I would think the business world should have a volunteering position always available for the hands on work/work that entails actually physically mastering technique in any field regardless of experience or course knowledge. So that if one got the drive to learn something and wanted to gain the confidence/experience in actually knowing he could do it well in the job world if asked it would be there.

Simply based on the fact that one wants to gain experience in something new , has the knowledge/learned it well already from research/self studying but can't afford to pay it or is not willing to pay the expenses of a standard/online course and has learn the information in his/her way / believes he/her has the knowledge to do the skills provided he/her if shown how to do it in the real job world.
I.E if there was a third option (instead of school or work) like volunteered where nobody loses financially because there is no cost in or out just ones knowledge gained and a helpful hand given. So one person gets help in gaining the confidence/physical ability to do it and the other gains the teaching skills/a helping hand for sometime. Some fields offer volunteer work but not all.

Since in this case after volunteering enough I would be confident/experienced enough to do almost any job. And would have finally closed the knowledge / experience gap on anything I wanted. And as such I could just simply say yes to any job and the only questions I would have to ask myself is if I wanted/willing to do it and do it well.

Of course there is always stuff on every job/or in life that may arise that could stump you but I came to the conclusion don't worry about those things unless they could be dangerous in which case one would consult many people or do it together if unsure.

So my question is about volunteering has anybody done it , where do you go, what are the skills/jobs that temporary volunteering is available? Please provide any volunteering information you have or volunteering experience you have?
What are the requirements to do so...etc

Thanks

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
What information did you need to provide or did you just say one day I want to help out at an animal shelter called them up and went in.

What was the process you went thru any paper work or identification verification ...etc ?
Any wait time or delay or any other thing I should be aware of

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I volunteer at a 101 year old lighthouse to do just about anything I can get done. Occasionally there is something electrical, mostly it's cleaning or painting.

Tending a barbeque grill on a lighthouse is an experience not to be missed.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I have been a volunteer at a veterans' home, and feel that it was worthwhile, but it certainly was not a path to a vocation (not that I was expecting one.) Maybe it's a cynical view, but I don't see volunteering as a realistic way to train for a new career. It's a philanthropic activity; granted it might lead to something, but probably not.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I disagree I believe volunteering can provide the same learning/experience and personal satisfaction... that a standard job does.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
What information did you need to provide or did you just say one day I want to help out at an animal shelter called them up and went in.

What was the process you went thru any paper work or identification verification ...etc ?
Any wait time or delay or any other thing I should be aware of
Go to the shelter and sign up for their training class then start volunteering.

I agree with Tracecom: chances of a volunteer thing leading to a paying job are very slim. Do it because you enjoy it.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I disagree I believe volunteering can provide the same learning/experience and personal satisfaction... that a standard job does.
That's not what I said. Yes, you can learn and get satisfaction from a volunteer job, but don't expect it to lead to a paying job. If you're not careful, you'll end up doing the work of the ones who are getting paid while they drink coffee and read the paper.

But, try it. One of the best things about a volunteer job is you can quit anytime you want.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
The volunteering that I do is with our county Rescue Squad. That requires us to have certain qualifications, we have 2 Paramedics and 7 EMTs, I am one of the EMTs.
We are also certified in High/Low Angle Rope Rescue, Vehicle Extrication, Swiftwater Rescue, Collapse Rescue, Farm Implement Rescue.
Not all of us have all the named certifications, but most do.We are also part of a state orginization and can be paged out anywhere in the state.
You have to bring something to the table to be considered for membership.

And it takes a continuing effort to stay current on training and certification, sometimes at your own personal cost. I've been doing this since I got my EMT license in 1994, costs to keep my license active: about $100 a year (classes, CEUs). And then there's the radios, clothes and other "stuff" that you just have to have to be ready when the call comes. We get a little bit of money from the county, and we have to spend that wisely. Our insurance, truck,liability, equipment, for example is $6,054 a year.
I love what I do and wouldn't have it any other way....

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
In my area, after completeing law enforcement school (that you pay for) you have to be a volunteer police officer to even be considered as a new hire for a police force. And if they do hire someone, you can be overlooked if someone that already has experience applies for the job.

So I guess what I'm saying is, you volunteer for your own satisfaction, not as a path to a job.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , I see but what are the things you can volunteer for.
All I have ever seen or known about is firefighter (this was for a small town), homeless shelter , animal shelters , and maybe a few retailer stores.

So I am curious of a list of any others you can think of and maybe a brief description of what is required for it.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The volunteer PD is available in small towns. I was in a town in western OK where the Auxiliary PD outnumbered the paid officers and were force multipliers for special events.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
The volunteer PD is available in small towns. I was in a town in western OK where the Auxiliary PD outnumbered the paid officers and were force multipliers for special events.
Here the Sheriffs dept has auxiliary deputies, the PD has Public Safety Officers.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
- Homes for youth (do science related hobbies odor what ever kids are interested in)
- Big brother - big sister organization
- High school science or tech Ed departments (teach, repair, assist, what ever)
- Help scouts get badges
- St Vincent de Paul or Salvation Army thrift stores (repair broken stuff before selling if it has any unusual value)
- Various home building / remodeling for disabled people / veterans / other...
- volunteer delivering meals on wheels
- nursing homes (play pool or cards with and old gentleman - mostly they want to talk)
- nursing homes (change batteries in watches for everyone - you can buy a whole sleeve of batteries on eBay for $5. Watches become very important to older people for some reason)
- work at a soup kitchen.

- ask your local united way agency what you can do. There are a surprising number of tasks on their list. Our company volunteered and we were assigned to paint a women's shelter (the shelter provided the paint). We ended up donating a bunch of new beds the next year, bringing toys at Christmas for the little kids, and collecting slightly used furniture to replace the bricks and boards they were using for their clothes storage.

It is good that you are asking. It is mainly the poor, the disabled, the young, the old and the abused that need help.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Shortbus , most sheriff's can make you a deputy on the spot for as long as he

needs you. I never pictured you in a 10 gallon hat and a six shooter.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
A background check for almost any volunteering now a days . Some

volunteers have to submit fingerprint card and a record check. There

are two types, state and F.B.I....Also credit check, so you don't run off

with the kids money for trips.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Well I have asked a few places for volunteering they said they did it before but not currently.

But to check back later.

WOW what's the world coming to when you can't even volunteer any more to help.

And people say I am not caring :cool: LOL

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Off-Topic 12