voltage shifter for ac signal

rockerpaluza

Joined Sep 7, 2010
hye, i have an -/+2V ac input signal,with very low frequency range(0.1-45Hz).. Now i want to send the signal to an adc,witch only accept voltage range from 0-5V..I planned to shift the voltage(add dc offset) so that the input signal becomes 0 to +4V..is it possible if i use summing amplifier configuration(one opamp and 3 resistor) for this task? or do i need to use another circuit if the input's freqs is too low? thanks..

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
If you want to convert 4Vp-p AC (2V AC) to a DC signal, you can use a potential divider. Tie a 1k resistor to 5V and a 1k resistor from the other end of the first 1k to your signal - this will give you a 1V signal superimposed on 2.5V, so from 1.5V to 3.5V. If you want it to span the full range, you'll need to amplify it using an op-amp as beenthere suggests.

rockerpaluza

Joined Sep 7, 2010
i want to record the waveform, but i need to shift the voltage level first.which means if input is -2v, output becomes 0v ; input 0v, output +2v ; input +2v,output +4v.. i want to shift the signal so that it varies from 0 to +4v ranges..