Voltage Regulator set resistor/current

vladtess

Joined Jan 5, 2011
Hello there.

I am working with a adj. voltage regulator (LM338K) and here's what it says in one of the selections:

The LM138 is capable of providing extremely good load
regulation but a few precautions are needed to obtain maxi-
mum performance. The current set resistor connected be-
tween the adjustment terminal and the output terminal (usu-
ally 240Ω) should be tied directly to the output of the
regulator (case) rather than near the load. This eliminates
line drops from appearing effectively in series with the refer-
ence and degrading regulation. For example, a 15V regula-
tor with 0.05Ω resistance between the regulator and load will
have a load regulation due to line resistance of 0.05Ω xIL.If
the set resistor is connected near the load the effective line
resistance will be 0.05Ω (1 + R2/R1) or in this case, 11.5
times worse.
Figure 2 shows the effect of resistance between the regula-
tor and 240Ω set resistor. (attached)
The question is, if I want to use a regular power transistor to control the current supplied, it needs to be placed just like in a picture, between the 240 ohm resistor and the regulator itself? Or can I just put the power transistor elsewhere in the circuit after that 240 ohm resistor.

Thanks much in advance!!! Pdf of LM338K attached.

Attachments

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Unfortunately, LM338 (LM317, etc.) don't lend themselves to current limiting using sensing on the output side. You can't put it in series with the 240Ω resistor, because the current through that resistor is constant, independent of load. You can put it between the LM338 output and the load, but your output resistance is now equal to the current sense resistance, so you will have very poor regulation.
Attached is a circuit that simulates well. I haven't tested it in hardware. It does not lend itself to low current limiting, because R3 would have to be large (Ilimit=0.6V/R3). You would have to change R3, and possibly some of the other resistors, to adapt it to the LM338 at a higher current level.
Also, current limiting reduces the output voltage to ≈1.25V, NOT to zero. if the output is shorted, the current will be limited by the LM338. R3 must be high enough wattage to handle that current.
Be sure you add the requisite capacitors on the output and input.

Attachments

vladtess

Joined Jan 5, 2011
Unfortunately, LM338 (LM317, etc.) don't lend themselves to current limiting using sensing on the output side. You can't put it in series with the 240Ω resistor, because the current through that resistor is constant, independent of load. You can put it between the LM338 output and the load, but your output resistance is now equal to the current sense resistance, so you will have very poor regulation.
Attached is a circuit that simulates well. I haven't tested it in hardware. It does not lend itself to low current limiting, because R3 would have to be large (Ilimit=0.6V/R3). You would have to change R3, and possibly some of the other resistors, to adapt it to the LM338 at a higher current level.
Also, current limiting reduces the output voltage to ≈1.25V, NOT to zero. if the output is shorted, the current will be limited by the LM338. R3 must be high enough wattage to handle that current.
Be sure you add the requisite capacitors on the output and input.
Thanks much Ron. Well, one of the current sensing resistors that I am planning to use is a 0.01 ohm with 1% tolerance. Will that make a huge difference? Thanks!!! ))

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Thanks much Ron. Well, one of the current sensing resistors that I am planning to use is a 0.01 ohm with 1% tolerance. Will that make a huge difference? Thanks!!! ))
When using a Vbe junction across the sense resistor, current limiting won't occur until the voltage drop across the resistor is high enough to cause the junction to conduct current, i.e., 0.6-0.7V. This means that your current limit will be 60-70 amps. Sounds a little high for an LM338.:eek:
Maybe you should tell us in detail what you are trying to accomplish.

vladtess

Joined Jan 5, 2011
When using a Vbe junction across the sense resistor, current limiting won't occur until the voltage drop across the resistor is high enough to cause the junction to conduct current, i.e., 0.6-0.7V. This means that your current limit will be 60-70 amps. Sounds a little high for an LM338.:eek:
Maybe you should tell us in detail what you are trying to accomplish.
Maybe you are right, I need to elaborate a bit more.

Basically, I want to achieve two things:

1. set current limiting through the use of a high power transistor (that will be controlled via a micro with an opamp [voltage to current converter]).
2. measure how much current is being drained from the LM338 via a shunt resistor (as I have mentioned above .01 ohm) via help of the opamp [diff. amplifier scheme].

And the problem comes when I need to place them in correct order to make sure that regulation is proper with these things in place.

Thanks much Ron.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Maybe you are right, I need to elaborate a bit more.

Basically, I want to achieve two things:

1. set current limiting through the use of a high power transistor (that will be controlled via a micro with an opamp [voltage to current converter]).
2. measure how much current is being drained from the LM338 via a shunt resistor (as I have mentioned above .01 ohm) via help of the opamp [diff. amplifier scheme].

And the problem comes when I need to place them in correct order to make sure that regulation is proper with these things in place.

Thanks much Ron.
What voltage and current ranges do you envision?

vladtess

Joined Jan 5, 2011
What voltage and current ranges do you envision?
I have a supply of 36 volts so I am intending to get close to maximum capacity of LM338 which is 32 volts. Voltage range be adjustable from 1.6 - 32.

I also intend to maximize the current of LM338 (8A tops) since I have a 10A supply. (3x 12V @ 10A each) I will change the input voltage based on the output to make heat less of a problem through the use of a micro (DAC).