Voltage Regulator Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwadad

Joined Feb 7, 2013
Hello Forum Members,

I have an old Jeep that originally had a 6 volt electrical system. That vehicle was converted at some point to a 12 volt system. I am installing an original 6 volt fuel gage, and therefore need to drop the voltage in the fuel gage circuit (prior to the gage) to 6 volts. In order to do this I am using an NTE962 IC voltage regulator. The wiring seems simple enough, but I am having problems. With no load, Vin of 12V and the center terminal of the regulator grounded as required, there is indeed 6 volts as measured between the Vo terminal and ground. But with any load applied to Vo, the voltage immediately drops to about 1 volt. This happens when the fuel gage is connected (approx .5A), or when a small 6V bulb is the load. The NTE962 is attached to a piece of aluminum as a heat sink, so I don't think temperature is a problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Brian

For some reason this forum is scared of allowing topics related to automotive electrical because it is afraid of being liable, or is too worried about people making unsafe mods to a vehicle. It greatly limits this forum because 90% of our daily contact with DC happens in our cars. This will get locked for this reason, just a heads up. I rarely come here anymore because of how limited the forum is because of this. Good luck!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service
There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
Member selected automotive forums

Bertus