Voltage Regulator...I think

RDJr

Joined Oct 3, 2009
Hey guys,

Well I was looking to make a voltage regulator, or thats at least what I think I need. I have a 110VAC input and I need to adjust the output from 0-110VAC, and it has to be able to withstand a current of 15 amps. I'm not sure if its called a voltage regulator or adjuster. I did a quick search and I could only find ones with variable input and a constant output. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
RDJr.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That sounds more like an autotransformer, also called a variac. They are not at all safe to use, as they present no isolation from the line, and so all points on them must be assumed to carry a lethal voltage.

Staco makes a variac that is capable of that current, and is safely enclosed -http://www.stacoenergy.com/variable_transformers.htm

You will be amazed at the cost.

RDJr

Joined Oct 3, 2009
Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks you But I really wasn't looking to spend that much money on it. I thought building it would be a lot cheaper. Ill explain what I need and maybe you can point me in another direction. I need to be able to plug in a drill with the trigger pulled and adjust the speed of the drill by the turn of a dial. I figured a "voltage regulator" or as you put it auto transformer, would do the trick. Are they that hard to build? I;m in my second year of Electrical Engineering Technology Degree so I have an idea about circuits but there are still somethings that I need help on.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Look up "phase control circuits" - it's the way variable speed AC drills are controlled. A big light dimmer should work, although a 1500 watt rating might be had to find.

If you want to use DC, look up "PWM".